Where to stay in Cozumel? Recommended dive shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flights to Fiji are easy, Fiji Air departs LAX at 11:30pm and is a 10 1/2 flight that arrives in Nadi just after 5am. Return flight leaves at 10pm and arrives in LAX around 1:30pm. We can get to Fiji quicker than going to Cozumel from Seattle.

Thanks DJ! Which dive operations would you recommend? I'm interested in a
dive shop that DOESN'T CROWD THEIR DIVES, has knowledgable masters/instructors, friendly, playful staff who will not throw advanced divers in with newbies to save a buck, can assess a diver's skill level, and give them latitude accordingly.

Since you're traveling solo (which, btw, I did to Fiji a couple of years ago on a budget 11-day dive trip, and it was great--you could manage those 9 days easy), I'm thinking some hotels are more conducive to meeting people than others. Since most people who stay at both Blue Angel and Villa Aldora dive with the respective associated dive shops, there should be a fair amount of congregating and chatting. I know there is at BA. Villa Aldora has a nice-looking beach area, but we haven't stayed there. We've been diving with both, and we like both very much, but for different reasons. Since you're planning on having a car, there is one hotel, Ventanas al Mar, on the scenic, sandier east side of the island. You'd have to drive to meet your dive op, though. Otherwise, most of the beachier places to stay are big resorts to the south and perhaps smaller resorts to the north. As discussed, south makes for convenient dive access, north less so, with perhaps the exception of Aldora.

Not sure what you mean by "crowding" dives. Most of the popular dive shops that get discussed here send people out in small groups, and those with more than one boat do tend to group people by experience levels when they can. But many do use small boats, and in that way, one could consider the boat crowded.

We've stayed in town a few times, and although you do end up giving up easy access to beach swimming and shore diving (not Cozumel's strength, but still nice to do), you gain the livelier pleasures of town, people-watching and convenience to local restaurants. If you stay in town, you have to give a little more thought as to how you're going to meet up with your dive shop (not all pick up downtown), but again, if you have a car, that eases your options--but not necessarily while meeting your desire to be a few steps from your dive pier.

We really like diving with our favorite DM at BA, and there's one other there we like who is a phenomenal critter spotter. We really liked one of our two DMs at Aldora, and they're generally top-notch all the way around. Our experiences with almost all the ops we've tried over the years have been good too. Under the right circumstances, we'd also try Tres Pelicanos--we talked to them a bit this trip, and they have a pretty sweet boat.

Blue Angel sounds perfect for her. No reason to suggest any other places, really.

Crowding divers? Not sure what that means, either. All dives in Cozumel are considered drift and a DM is mandatory, no more than 8 divers per group. Boat follows bubbles, picks you up when you surface. You'll love it.

My suggestion --- buy the MAP. It has all the restaurants, car rental agencies, hotels, everything on the island with food info, too. cancunmap.com-Maps and travel guides.Your information source to Cancun,Cozumel,Isla Mujeres & Riviera Maya Best $10 you will spend on your trip. I don't have any financial interest in this, just want to help you get to know Cozumel better. YOu will be hooked.

robin

You know I love you and all, DJ, but a small suggestion?
Maybe draw him a picture? images.jpg I still call it the Return Key sometimes. :silly:

I think the Blue Angel would serve the lady well: close to town, nice, not crowded or loud other than a little street noise walking to the room - easy to drown out with the AC, private balcony overlooking the channel, mini fridges, panga boats loaded by diver abilities, nice cafe with fun atmosphere, nice beach half a block away, etc. I enjoyed it a lot when it was cheaper, and the improvements justify today's rates - I'm just cheap.

I would not rent a car for the week. Just not needed. The taxis are a little pricey, but cheaper than car with full insurance needed.

I have a US friend who has been Instructing on Utila, recently moved to Fiji. I should introduce you two. His page: www.facebook.com/Sloeber?fref=ts

Last edited:
Sloeber moved to Fiji?! DD, you know everyone and everything don't you? Seriously, sometimes you spook me. :wink:

Sloeber moved to Fiji?! DD, you know everyone and everything don't you? Seriously, sometimes you spook me. :wink:
His FB posts are entertaining, in a rude sort of way.

Think of using VRBO.com and look at Residencies reef condo very nice area and you can go use the pier next door to have dive with martin pick you up and take you diving and they are great.most of the time you can get condo for around onehondred dollars a day.there is a big grocery store heading out of town to the condo. make you dive reservations online.

I'm also going to Cozumel, but not until February, and with a whole bunch of family members. There will be 6 of us diving; ranging in ability from 16 year old who will be doing her referral dives, to a 50 year old 100+ dive veteran. I've never been to Cozumel before, but I'd like to find a reputable dive shop that is family friendly and patient with, and won't be intimidating for beginner divers.

Any suggestions?

If six of you are diving together every day, then you might be better off just chartering a 6 pack boat for yourselves. Then the dive op will adjust the dive profiles to accommodate the weakest link and, hopefully, allow the better divers to also have an enjoyable dive.

Back
Top Bottom