Where to stay in Bangkok?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might do better to get in touch w/ a dive shop in Pattaya, take a cab over there, get in a dive or two, and let them help you find a place. There are many shops to chose from. I use Real Divers, but there are other outfits as well. Aquanuts, Mermaids etc.
email to realdivers: neilpeter2002@yahoo.com Niel will answer
The other two have websites.

The Ambassador hotel is an older hotel on Sukhumvet near much of the night life, about $55 p/n. The Pathumwan Princess is much nicer and located by the MBK shopping area. I believe for a standard room it's about $100 to $120.
Both hotels are near the Sky train.

Remember to go to the cab stand with the dispatcher. Don't get ripped off by official looking people offering limos and cabs. To get to the cab stand go to the escalator. Look for the sign, don't ask for help because many are trying to rip you off. You will see a line and eventually get to a dispatcher that will hand you a paper with the cabbies ID#. The line moves pretty fast. I agree, the Ambassador on Sukhumvit Soi 11 or the Federal across the street are safe bets.

A metered cab should be in the 300 baht range. All cabbies know where the Ambassador is.

Good luck,

AZ

Good advice on the taxis at Bangkok airport - but they have recently moved the official taxi stand to the same level as the Arrivals hall, rather than the floor below as before. It caught me out a couple of weeks ago!

I'd recommend The Davis as a good value 4 star hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 24 - top notch rooms and service for around $80 US a night, possibly cheaper - shop around online for discounted rates.

Divehappy,

Having the cabs on the arrival level will make things easier. It can be tricky for even people living here.

Thanks,

AZ

Check out the usual booking services at Agoda, Asiarooms or Sawadee.com for reliable rates. As suggested by all the other posters, Bangkok has a huge range of hotels catering to different tastes.

For affordable (by US standards) 5 star luxury, you can't beat the Four Seasons, the Sukhothai or the Shangri-la. If you prefer quirky ultra modern chic places, check out the new Siam@Siam, Dreams Hotel or Metropolitian on Silom. I personally prefer to be in the Silom area for the streetlife or in the middle of the Siam Center shopping paradise. Sukhumvit (Soi Nana/Cowboy) is best if you're on the lookout for more seedy action. Avoid staying out in Latphrao or near the airport unless you are happy to spend your layover in relative swamp-infested solitude.

I prefer the Dynasty Inn on Soi 4 in suhkumvet.....it is a bit nasty, but then so am I!!

I just got back from Thailand. Spent a week in BKK and stayed at the Royal Asia Lodge on Soi 8 off of Suhkumvet. Quiet place at the end of the Soi. Walking distance to night life and there is a BTS station on the end of Soi. The rooms are nothing to write home about but they are clean, bug free, and decent enough if you are just looking for a place to crash. Ran me about $34 a night. Their tour services are good too and are cheaper than anywhere I saw.

Back
Top Bottom