Where to stay? Best house reef? Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still not quite settled, I just found out the room we'd reserved at Sand Dollar has a terrible online review.

That is a disadvantage of SD: first time we got a unit one could call "sparsely" decorated, with plenty of room to hang and/or throw around gear etc. Second one had lots of "fishy" interior decoration and not enough room to walk around the bed without stabbing your toe... doesn't matter too much if you're out diving the whole day but still: you may get one you don't like.

PS I kind of doubt it anyone will mind if a Den Laman DFB customer takes a DFB cart to the Buddy side of Sand Dollar and dives off that staircase. The other side of Bari Reef is of course available to both DL and SD.

We love SD, have stayed there several time and even the unupdated condos are nice. As for house reef be sure to check out the outcrop of coral to the right of the dock. Incredible dive. Seriously great dive with max depth of 12 feet. Surge was rough but one of our best dives and we did all the favorites! Just circle the coral and you will be floored at the critters. Probably the best unrated dive on the island. Do if, seemed crazy when wife said I had to check it out but once again she was right. Bill

I have stayed at Buddy Dive 4 times, Caribbean Club twice, Captain Don's and Sand Dollar once each.

Sand Dollar was just ok IMO. Great house reef, walking distance to Between Two Buns (do not miss lunch here!!), Dive Friends was excellent. Room was just OK and the biggest downer for me is no on-site breakfast buffet. The breakfast buffet MAKES me get up and get going and for me that is a huge plus everywhere else.

Caribbean Club's "house reef" is down the block at Oil Slick Leap. Not nearly as convenient as an actual house reef. Since it's part of Buddy Dive you have several choices for tanks. Good food, rooms were decent.

Captain Don's was excellent. The house reef is awesome, right next to the house reef at Buddy Dive. On site restaurant is great, dive shop is good, rooms were nice.

Buddy Dive is excellent as well, House reef is an easy walk down the stairs, lots of support from the staff, 2 on site restaurants, tanks available 24/7. Plus they support crazy rebreather divers like me better than anyone else on the island currently. If you do a few boat dives over to Klein Bonaire, you'll definitely enjoy them.

I wonder if you can go pay for the breakfast buffet at Buddies if you're staying at SD? I tried to book BD but they were sold out during the week I had available. I'm pretty sure the condo is going to be right next to BD anyways...

PS I kind of doubt it anyone will mind if a Den Laman DFB customer takes a DFB cart to the Buddy side of Sand Dollar and dives off that staircase. The other side of Bari Reef is of course available to both DL and SD.
I can assure you: The owners at Sand Dollar consider their frontage to be private property, which it is. Non-owners, non-guests, non-renters are not welcome to use Sand Dollar facilities. Owners and renters have paid substantial sums for the privilege of enjoying what Sand Dollar has to offer. If the Sand Dollar frontage had not been abused so frequently by uninvited folks (particularly in recent years) the touchiness would not exist.

:shrug: Obviously, everyone will get their knickers in a twist if I roll the cart along the facilities yelling "I am neither a guest nor an owner here! Neener, nee-neener"

I've loved all four stays at Plaza Resort in Bonaire. The 18th Palm is an amazing place for a house reef and yet they have boats to dive from as well. HUGE rooms, good food. I would go back in a minute.

I wonder if you can go pay for the breakfast buffet at Buddies if you're staying at SD? I tried to book BD but they were sold out during the week I had available. I'm pretty sure the condo is going to be right next to BD anyways...

You can. We've seen folks pay by the day. Give them a call or email them. Keep in mind there is no short cut between the resorts, from Sand$$ you will need to walk out to the road, up the street, then into Buddy. Same thing going from Buddy to Capt Don's.

I've loved all four stays at Plaza Resort in Bonaire. The 18th Palm is an amazing place for a house reef and yet they have boats to dive from as well. HUGE rooms, good food. I would go back in a minute.
I was there in November with a large group - the Dive Op (Toucan) was good and 18 Palms was a nice shore dive right mount front (day, night and dawn).

However, the place is in need of a MAJOR refresh as it appears neglected/dated. Several of our group had to be moved from their rooms due to overflowing sewage.

The food was OK (not great, but good enough for me) and most of the staff were fine (staff at the bar were great) - but a few in the restaurant were unfriendly, ignored you and seemed to not like Americans. One even told our trip organizer that much when they asked to open the restaurant 15 minutes earlier in the AM (6:45 vs 7:00) so folks could eat and still make the boat for the 7:30 AM boat dives. The resort manager approved it, but the Kitchen manager was not happy and told our leader she didn’t need our American money.

It’s a good location with a nice layout and really good “bones” to build on - but it is in dire need of a major overhaul.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom