Where to stay? Best house reef? Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kksmama

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In the categories of best house reef, nicest resort atmosphere, and most comfortable room are there three different accommodation winners? I need good wifi and a nice bed, and I really want the convenience of an easy walk from our room to a gear locker and beautiful diving. This is our first trip to Bonaire, and first dive focused trip without kids in a long time. We will do few, if any, boat dives but will take our vehicle to other shore sites during our week long trip. Being able to get meals and drinks without getting in the car would be a plus.

We welcome you to stay at Aqua View. We have a compfy pillow-top California King bed, you can walk to restaurants and walk out the door on to a terrific reef. We also offer discounts on dive packages at yellow submarine and have rinse tanks and locked dive storage. Welcome to Bonaire! Www.tropicofdestiny.com

Divi Flamingo was a nice easy reef for night dives back in 2014. Haven't been back, but others will likely chime in. Great boat service, too!
Close enough to Kralendijk to walk in for a meal.

We stayed at Buddy Dive for our first trip to Bonaire. Going back to BD in October. Dive lockers and tanks are right behind the entry to the house reef. Easy in, easy out. We found it to be one of the most beautiful dive spots.

Like you, we chose not to do any boat dives. We dove the house reef multiple times. It never got old. We did not make it to any of the northern sites. We stayed in the south so I can't give you a read on how it compares.

Resort Info - Comfy beds. Cold AC. No problems with the WiFi. We ate at one of the restaurants on site the 2 days we chose to remain on the resort and dive the house reef. Food was good and access was easy. We didn't get anything fancy. Food prices on the island as a whole are a bit pricey but we knew that going in.

All in all, I recommend BD.

Coral Paradise. Right between Capt Dons and Hamlet. Your choice of house reefs in front of Buddys, Capt Dons and Hamlet. Small nice and quiet. 2nd choice would be a package at Capt Don's staying in an oceanfront suite. These units are on the water and closest to gear room and dock.

Seconding tkaelin's recommendation of Coral Paradise. CPR is a small, eight-unit compound with secure parking and gear storage 24/7 by room key access. My wife and I are actually there now, and loving it.

The resort is not direct ocean...one row back. Walkway to steps to reef entry, so three minutes from gear storage. Surprised at diversity there, and it's got healthy coral close in with spur and groove outcroppings, then patch reef to drop off. We have seen three kinds of parrot fish, cuttlefish jetting around, honeycomb cowfish, some schools of deeper water critters, an arrow crab, a couple morays, lots of creole wrasses, angelfish, and all the usual smaller things along the reef and the wall. This is the same reef that Dive Buddy (see poster above) and Captain Don's share...CPR is just a few hundred meets "up" the coast from DB, and immediately next to Captain Don's. Located just north of "town", so easy access to all the sites up there (1000 steps, Karpata, etc.).

Service is outstanding, and very personalized. The owners (Caroline & Vincent) are divers originally from Canada who bought the place about four (?) years ago after coming here for years themselves, and have made it super "independent diver friendly", with eight well thought out "studio" units...so, full kitchen equipped, large fridge, even starter supply of coffee and dish soap, as well as necessities. My wife had a problem with her new fins...no worries, Vincent dug a loaner pair out of the same model. My BC had a sticky first stage valve. Vincent whipped out an allen wrench, and some vise grips, and it was restored to functionality. Very comfortable beds, WiFi and AC works great, electricity is filtered / surge protected, and our US powerstrip works fine. Manager (Louise) is also extremely helpful and knows where to go, how to get there, and lots of advice as needed. Very nice balconies with some privacy, and a small pool with loungers and even a gas BBQ grill. Gear storage is secured, and they have a couple partners that deliver your tanks daily for you (we are using AB Dive), and charge about $25 / day for unlimited fills. They also work with Captain Don's so you can buy a package from them, and use their dock, boats and so on. They also handled our truck rental for us, and provided a free taxi ride from airport, then gave us a bottle Chilean wine for our anniversary. HIGHLY recommended. These guys have customer service down.

For dinner, we have eaten next door (three minutes from room) at Captain Don's "Rum Runner" restaurant, and had no complaints. Very good fresh tuna, burgers, and even a good pizza oven selection. Can eat in restaurant itself, or bar...both have excellent sunset views. We have also walked to Eddy's (7 minute walk?), which is currently the #3 TripAdvisor-ranked restaurant, and serves Caribbean and local, as well as some standbys from other locations. There is a small, but decent grocery store about five minutes north of the compound for essentials (beer, good brands of booze, snacks, and misc supplies (there are two other, bigger stores for most needs further away). Finally, it's about a 20 minute walk into the center of town, and all the restaurants there, so not bad.

That's my pitch, but we really like this place. ;-)

Johncn

Ditto. Stayed at CP four times, 3 with Kenny and Margaret as the owners and once with Caroline and Vincent. The place is great and the Caroline and Vincent are doing a great job. Love the gear storage, rinse and shower areas they put in.

Oh wow, you all were supposed to make this easy, but now I think I need to make at least 2 trips to Bonaire!
If I limit my search to places I can book with Chase points via expedia, that narrows it a bit. Hamlet Oasis has the onsite Dive Friends and the reef is Cliff. I'd love more detail about both places. There aren't many reviews on Hamlet Oasis, and the Coral Paradise reviews are all amazing!

Agree with scubadada, everyone has a favorite and I have seen nothing but good reviews of Dan Leman and Bari is also a great house reef (a 1 minute car ride from CP). Bonaire has plenty of choices for places to stay with good house reefs. I cringe though when I see divers planning a stay on small islands like Bon and Cur and limit themselves to points from say Hilton, Marriott, or a cc. The best places to stay and dive on these islands IMHO are at the small locally owned places and not a big impersonal corporate owned resort that would typically get you in on points. I cringe because you are missing the best of what these islands have to offer. Just another 2 cents. Best of luck with your planning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom