Where to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guardian

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have my OW and I am now trying to get my gear. I would like to know what peice of gear I should get first. I already have mask fins ect. I have narowed my equiment down to : DSS BP&W , Oceanic GT3, Octo 8,computer, and a dry suit.

Me personally I would say regulator would be on the first since I dont like community mouth pieces.

Snorkel

:rofl3:

You don't state where you are, but if you are somewhere where a dry suit is a good idea, I'd recommend the suit first. You won't enjoy diving if you are cold, and exposure protection has to fit properly to work well. In addition, at least around here, dry suit rental costs are such that about a dozen dives pays for a lower-end suit.

Well it depends on what and where your diving. If you travel a lot to dive, or if you just dive locally in your area. It makes a big difference! If you are traveling, then make sure your gear has a sense of ease in the transportation area. I made that mistake with my BC, I have a Sherwood which I love to death, but being a back inflate and heavy duty it adds a lot of weight to my gear bag. Just keep that in mind.

Its kinda tuff to say, what order to buy them in. Your gonna need them all at some point, its so much easier to just get it all at one time. And depending on where you get it from, they may even cut you a break if you buy most of it at once. My guy threw in a princeton tech light kit, for free. It never hurts to ask for a deal, or a freebie. But if I really had to put them in order. Regulator, Computer, Mask & fins, BC, wet suit, lights, knife, reel, etc, Hope thats what you were kinda looking for.

Oh and don't worry you will be in the dive shop at least once a month :rofl3: buying replacements or replacing broken gear.

I agree with TSandM on the dry suit if most of your diving conditions warrant it. Regulator would be a close second. Followed by the BC. I would leave the computer close to last unless you are doing a lot of repetitive dives. Dive tables are more than adequate for one to two dives a day with a few hours surface interval. If a dive trip is in your immediate future I would move the computer in front of a BC or you could just rent one at you destination for the week.

Many differing opinions, but my preference is:

1: Thermal protection
2: Buoyancy compensation device
3: Regulators
4: Computer (if so desired)

My philosophy is based upon safety from hypothermia and establishing good buoyancy control at the earliest possible point in one's diving.

1: Thermal Protection: If you're cold because of an ill fitting thermal protection suit, then your concentration on other critical aspects can be compromised leading to undesired consequences. And your thermal protection plays a huge part in buoyancy control.

2: Buoyancy Compensation Device: Moving among different rental units, the diver can experience different positions of such things as the buttons on the inflator/deflator and dump valves. Familiarity with one's gear is paramount. Needless to say, the B/C is the controling mechanism (mechanical, that is) in buoyancy control.

3: Regulators: Many cite buying the regulator first because it is a "life saving device". Well, any piece of the basic scuba equipment can be construed as "life saving". Some will cite service issues with rental gear. That may be a valid point, but I don't think most dive shops would willingly risk law suits by skimping on the service of their rental gear.

4: Computer: You can get along with an SPG and depth gauge quite nicely. Folks have been doing it for years.

the K

what is so funny about snorkel?

It is an oft discussed piece of gear, as to whether it is needed or superficial. Just a :joke:

Your specification of certain brands and exact models of gear further clouds the question. I'll accept your list at face value. But to answer your question, in reality, we should know the specific conditions that you expect to be diving in for the first, say, 100 dives or so. (as per TSandM above)

From what we know so far, I'm with Kraken and his logic.

That would really help many folks pitch in with other ideas.

I have my OW and I am now trying to get my gear. I would like to know what peice of gear I should get first. I already have mask fins ect. I have narowed my equiment down to : DSS BP&W , Oceanic GT3, Octo 8,computer, and a dry suit.

If water is cold enough to warrant a drysuit... drysuit first

If water is dive-able in a wetsuit and/or you plan on traveling... A regulator & octo first, then a computer, then a BCD... then a drysuit

Good Luck and Happy Diving!

Back
Top Bottom