where to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nikki

Reaction score
I would love to do some underwater photography, but havn't a clue where to start, what sort of camera etc?
Any one out there give me some advice
Thanks

I started with a cheap 2nd-hand Aquashot. It's better to start with something entry-level. Why? There are a few aspects of underwater photography which includes maintenance and care for the camera, handling camera in and out of water, composition of the shot (what you see is not exactly what you get from a viewfinder) and others. The idea is to get used to the carrying and using a camera without burning your pocket if the thing floods. Sure the pictures might not be print quality but at least you know how to improve the shot with a better system. At that time, I was happy to have taken a shot of the moray eel which I saw as proof of my encounter.

Just a tip: do not keep your camera pressurised (sealed) when travelling by plane. The pressure will crack the housing or break the seal of the camera as I have sadly experienced.

Happy diving and tell us what you came up with.

Sorry - that's not intended to be trite. But it would help to know how much you can afford to spend. I took my first underwater photographs with a one-time 35mm camera designed to go no deeper than about 50 feet and costing about $20. The results were quite good.

Then during the AOW Underwater Photography dive, my instructor loaned me his Sea and Sea Motor Marine II, with remote strobe. The results were even better, but the film (35mm again) had to be processed and I didn't really know what to expect of my shots until I saw the results.

I have since gone on to invest about $750 dollars in an Olympus digital camera (Camedia 3020 Zoom and matching underwater housing). This allows me to see results instantly underwater and gives me full flexibility in programming and setting exposures. If you look elsewhere on this board, you will read about other's experiences with digital and see some super examples taken with them.

By the way, there are cheaper, point-and-shoot type Olympus camera and housing options. Have a look at www.oceanoptics.co.uk for more information.

Good luck - hope you get what you need.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom