Where to start??......U/W Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all of your help. After doing a bit more wandering on the net, comparing functionality & prices of similar stuff, I think the Olympus 3040 and the PT-010 is the setup for me. A good digital camera, which I have wanted, and a nice u/w housing. I guess I'll be posting some beginning pics once I have it and play with it in the water. Wow... between me purchasing all my dive gear and this, my citi-card is getting warm. Oh well... its been well worth it so far, whats another $600 right? :wink:

Thanks again!
Erich

scuba_junkie once bubbled...
I think the Olympus 3040 and the PT-010 is the setup for me. A good digital camera, which I have wanted, and a nice u/w housing. I guess I'll be posting some beginning pics once I have it and play with it in the water. Wow... between me purchasing all my dive gear and this, my citi-card is getting warm. Oh well... its been well worth it so far, whats another $600 right? :wink:

Thanks again!
Erich

The other nice thing with that camera is this board.......A lot of members use the Olympus cameras so there is always a wealth of knowledge available here......

I feel your pain (and a melting credit card too) Lots of toys showing up in the next few days :D

Scott

How are the digitals as far as the everything looking blue at depth factor?

I use an MX10 with the YS-40A strobe now and Kodak Sea processing kicks ass.

If I go digital will I be spending hours corecting color in photoshop?

I want to go all digital eventually, but I'm waiting for prices to come down and resolutions to go up. I have a sony digital and an old 35mm SLR, and eventually want to replace them and my MX-10 with a digital SLR with a housing.

grunzster once bubbled...
How are the digitals as far as the everything looking blue at depth factor?

I use an MX10 with the YS-40A strobe now and Kodak Sea processing kicks ass.

If I go digital will I be spending hours corecting color in photoshop?

I want to go all digital eventually, but I'm waiting for prices to come down and resolutions to go up. I have a sony digital and an old 35mm SLR, and eventually want to replace them and my MX-10 with a digital SLR with a housing.

Depends on what you mean by blue! Of course everything looks blue at depth. But with the proper strobe placement, strengths, etc. the colors are replaced. I don't spend hours manipulating photos. In fact about all I ever do is clone out the most offending backscatter if there is any. I don't mess with the colors at all.

Take a look at this years Roatan pictures and you'll see what I mean.

Wow not blue at all. I was just wondering because I have shots of people that are right in my face. and standard processing looks like crap, but Sea Processing looks like you pics colorwise.

grunzster once bubbled...
Wow not blue at all. I was just wondering because I have shots of people that are right in my face. and standard processing looks like crap, but Sea Processing looks like you pics colorwise.

I don't know where you have your stuff developed other than the Sea Processing but more than likely they just feed your film through, using some automatic generic setting. When I was shooting film, the best thing I ever did was to explain to the lab tech that underwater film had different color levels. I took in some photos with good color and showed them to her, even left her a few for future reference. After that the pics were exactly what I saw.

Sea Processing is just a filter, very similar to what can be done in PhotoShop...it just cost alot more! There's nothing magic about it like Kodak would have you believe.

'Course that may not work with the teenage kid working the machine at Wal-Mart!

'Course that may not work with the teenage kid working the machine at Wal-Mart!
That's the reason I like the Sea Processing it's just easier.

There's nothing magic about it like Kodak would have you believe.
They just already know what to do, you don't have to hold their hand through the process, and the colors always come out right.

I went to a few places to get reprints, and made a point of explaining to them, but they still came out BLUE. Motophoto gave me a few copies using different settings, and some were pretty good. They just were'nt as good as Sea Processing, though, and for what they charge for processing, I just think the Kodak is worth it. It's really not that much more.

Hi guys, just to let you know, I have just completed a complete re-build of my site and added lots of new images.

For those concerned about digital underwater photography and wide angle shots, check out the couple of wide angles scenics now on the site.

By the way I have printed many of the picture out at 16 x 20 and some even 20 x 30 and they look great.

David

www.digitaloceans.net

the old url also works.

clive francis once bubbled...
digital is the way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

check any of the people on this forum who have digital web sites, me included, and you will be amazed at the picture quality, and it costs nothing to practice taking shots, getting used to the camera

you will not be dissapointed=-)

I will vouch for this that I am really glad for the wonders of digital camera.

Started this sub-hobby in Mar 03. Using a Canon S40 & u/w housing & 256mb / 1G memory card. At max resolution which is good for upto 8R prints, I can do about 300 shots on a 256mb memory card and about 1000 shots on the 1Gb microdrive.

On my 2 dive trips to Bali in March & MayAfter the day's dive and happy back to the hotel, I hooked up the camera to the room's 14" TV via a supplied cable. This allows preview's of the day's shots. Deleted a lot of them due to handshake, fish swam away*, backscatter, miscomposted photos etc etc. About 1 hr was spend reviewing all the day's photo. Also made a mental note on what better way to compose the next shot.

Try doing that with a film camera.

On the most recent May trip, on 4 dives, I clocked something like about 300+ u/w shots. I was satisfied with only 8 photos. 8 shots !! Imagine the amount films I would have burned to achieve this, that is if I can.

Welcome to take a peak of my photo album -

(note : Photos were reduced to 640 x 480 for faster downloads on the web, actual was 2272 x 1704)

My album

Fav 1

Fav 2

Fav 3

Fav 4

Hello,

Rarely do I step into a film vs digital debate so all the digital snapper-heads lissen up :) Slide film is about 25-30 MP's and the best digital is what? 5MP's? You do the math.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom