Where to start??......U/W Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It does not cost £1000s to do what I suggested.

A second hand strobe such as an Ikelite Susbtrobe 150 with TTL would cost you about £150.

A Nikon 801s/8008s in good nick is about £250

A couple of lenses maybe £200/£250 depending on the focal length

A second hand housing - Ikelite maybe £250, Subal maybe £400

I would say that with about £1000. And as Erich is across the pond I would say $1000 for him.

No one buys a drum scanner unless they are commercial printers! they cost about £20k. I have a friend who is a commercial printer and he scans my slides for me for posters etc. I have 35mm slides blown up to 4ft x 3ft and they are pin sharp. Each scan is 200 megabytes in size. He charges me £10 a scan, but I only have a few done like that, so it does not matter.

I have a Nikon Coolscan III. I can scan a slide at 300dpi and print photo quality images to A3+, the largest my printer will do. They are about 8megabytes in size. I can scan to 1200dpi, I think, but my PC would probably lock up if I tried to scan a 35mm slide at A3 at 1200dpi

In the US I would expect you could pick a second hand one up for about $250.

Slide film cost? I buy Provia & Velvia for £3.50 + VAT.

Developing - about the same.

If Erich is going to make this a lasting hobby then better to spend a little more now than a little less and have to spend more again in the future.

Yes, the shots on David Dacostas's site are very nice but have you noticed the majority are macro or medium format. Very few wideangle and those that are do not have the colour saturation that you get from slide film.

Regards
Jim

I didnt want to start a street brawl over this... LOL :wink:

Good info so far. I do have a few questions though (even though I could probably research them myself on the new..)

-Are there digital cameras that are purpose built for u/w use?

-If so, how much does a normal one cost? (read - not too fancy)

-If not, Im assuming a u/w case is required and certain models fit certain cases... whats the average total cost for a normal digital camera and a u/w case?

-Are there any u/w cases that will fit my current 35mm camera?

Thanks again for the feedback!
Erich

You can look at the reef master. It is specifically designed for underwater.

http://www.sealife-cameras.com/

I think thier top of the line digital model will retail for around $750. They have models for less without strobes. Plus I am sure if you shopped around you can find it for much less. I dont think you have to pay full retail.

scuba_junkie once bubbled...

-If so, how much does a normal one cost? (read - not too fancy)

-If not, Im assuming a u/w case is required and certain models fit certain cases... whats the average total cost for a normal digital camera and a u/w case?

-Are there any u/w cases that will fit my current 35mm camera?

Thanks again for the feedback!
Erich

If you got a hold of an Olympus 2040,3040,or 4040 which can be found online at some great prices ....you could get an Olympus housing PT-010 for around $250 check here then in the future you could add a strobe and have a great U/W system.

As for a housing for the 35 mm sure you can get one but that will run a bit more $$$ look here

Hope this helps

Scott

I checked out the Olympus suggestion Finesse. That is right about where I wanted to be. I have actually been wanting a decent digital camera for a while, and to have it set up for u/w use would be even better. I found the 3040 online for about $350 and the $250 for the housing seems fair. I think I might be shooting some u/w pics while diving in the very near future!
:snorkel:

Thanks again!
Erich

scuba_junkie once bubbled...
I checked out the Olympus suggestion Finesse. That is right about where I wanted to be. I have actually been wanting a decent digital camera for a while, and to have it set up for u/w use would be even better. I found the 3040 online for about $350 and the $250 for the housing seems fair. I think I might be shooting some u/w pics while diving in the very near future!
:snorkel:

Thanks again!
Erich

I'm thoroughly enjoying my Olympus C-4040/PT-10 set-up. Easy to use, small to carry around, excellent pictures and very affordable...what else could you ask for?!?!

Glad that we all could help you out !!!!!

That link to Underwater digital is valuable for you research on this subject...... Allan is great to deal with and has loads of info......just spoke to him yesterday about a WAL for a new toy that is coming my way :wink:

Lots of luck and enjoy

Scott

Finesse once bubbled...
....just spoke to him yesterday about a WAL for a new toy that is coming my way :wink:

Lots of luck and enjoy

Scott

That WAL is hard to resist, isn't it?

Dee once bubbled...

That WAL is hard to resist, isn't it?
Just hope the bank account will recover :eek:

And he makes it even harder to resist.......

Looks like the housing will arrive tomorrow.......then time to get that lens!!!

Tony just bit the bullet! He got a C-3040 and PT-10...let's see how long it takes him to add the WAL! :mean:

Back
Top Bottom