Where To Send Hog Regulator To Be Annual/serviced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoyoguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All,
None of my local shops will service hog regulators. Does anyone know a good shop that I can send Hog regulators to have their annual servicing? I am in upstate NY and have checked the shops near me. thanks.

I've used Jim lapenta in the past for my regs. Udm aquatic. You'd have to ship them, but it's worth having them done right

Jim Lapenta, Cave Adventurers, Dive Right in Scuba, Divers Supply, Air Tech Scuba, whole slew of places you can send them off to have serviced. I will say that if nothing is wrong with them, then hold off on servicing. Buy a good IP gauge and that will tell you everything you need to know. They can easily go 2-3+ years if you take care of them between service

Jim Lapenta, Cave Adventurers, Dive Right in Scuba, Divers Supply, Air Tech Scuba, whole slew of places you can send them off to have serviced. I will say that if nothing is wrong with them, then hold off on servicing. Buy a good IP gauge and that will tell you everything you need to know. They can easily go 2-3+ years if you take care of them between service
Thanks! I hate to possibly sound stupid but how do you use the IP gauge to tell you how your regs are functioning?

Thanks! I hate to possibly sound stupid but how do you use the IP gauge to tell you how your regs are functioning?
Just send to Jim Lapenta, he is the best.

it's as simple as plugging it into the inflator hose while the regulator is pressurized, take a couple of breaths off of the second stage to make sure that it is rebounding quickly, and let it sit for a few minutes *I try for 5-10* to make sure that the IP isn't creeping. If it doesn't move, the first stage is fine, and if the second stages aren't leaking and they breathe well, then they're fine as well.

I have a hog reg that hasn't been serviced since it came from the factory some number of years ago. At this point it's my guinea pig and I'm going to see how long it lasts before it NEEDS servicing. 5 years and counting.

That said for regs used regularly you should at least put an IP gauge to them occasionally to make sure nothing weird is going on. I'd service it every 2-3 years depending on usage. You could theoretically go longer than that but you would be temping fate at that point.

it's as simple as plugging it into the inflator hose while the regulator is pressurized, take a couple of breaths off of the second stage to make sure that it is rebounding quickly, and let it sit for a few minutes *I try for 5-10* to make sure that the IP isn't creeping. If it doesn't move, the first stage is fine, and if the second stages aren't leaking and they breathe well, then they're fine as well.
+1 Spend $15 or so on ebay for a IP gauge and check the first stage if you have questions.

Jim L is an excellent resource

I have a hog reg that hasn't been serviced since it came from the factory some number of years ago. At this point it's my guinea pig and I'm going to see how long it lasts before it NEEDS servicing. 5 years and counting.

I too am at 5+ years on my Hog regs, keep checking the IP and they are within spec still.
Bought my rebuild kits a few years back, will most likely rebuild them this season....needed or not :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom