Where to see sea dragon in June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wahlaoeh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi there,

Where can I see the 2 species of sea dragons in June? Pls help to provide place (dive sites) and recommend any good dive operation. Much appreciated!!

Happy bubbles,
Jovin-

hi

weedy seadragons in sydney (and melbourne ive been told but i cant comment as ive not dived it)
leafy seadragons in south australia

weedy sea dragons can be seen in sydney all year round. Kurnell/Sutherland is pretty much a guarantee (we took El Orans diving there last week and in 2 dives he would have seen about 2 dozen of the sneaky buggers)

Kurnell is a easy shore dive (on incoming tide) and the trick is to get down to the sand and watch the kelp (hence the weedy bit of their name) as they blend in real well. i also find them at Bare Island but that dive isnt as much as a guarantee as kurnell is

if you want the leafy sea dragon you have to fly to south australia then drive for 2 or 4 hrs (i cant remember how many exactly) and dive around rapid bay for Leafys

weedy sea dragon
225131469_dfb33acd4f.jpg

leafy sea dragon
seapic03-25_se18.jpg

dont forget june is our winter so the water will be colder but hopefully visability will be great

cheers

Thanks for the info.

The dive operator at Kangaroo Island (South Australia) just emailed me saying that
June is mid winter and the chances of getting divable days are very slim (3 diveable days in the month if we are lucky). Best time is late November to April. I'll have to forgo this one this time round.

Jovin-

Almitywife.....Great pics!

must admit they are not mine,..... went to google to get the best pic to show the differences

i havent seen a leafy yet but hope to one day!

cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom