where to make first atlantic dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stangguy327

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have about 45 dives consisting of a mix between mexico, canada, and quarry dives. I own my own gear and would like to start diving in the atlantic this year. Any dive opps or dive sites in the south jersey area that you guys can suggest would be great.

Many of the area shops have a Intro to Wreck Diver course available. I'd say go that route if for no other reason to get the knowledge of what equipment to have and how to configure it. They also have the boats booked and you can go as a group with someone who knows the ropes.

i had the same question a few years ago and was referred to gene peterson at atlantic divers, his advanced course was well worth the money and teaches you everything you need to know about jersey wreck diving, he also charters the dina dee which is a great boat for your first jersey dive, good luck and hope to see you out there.

Gene's www.njwreckdivers.com in Egg Harbor Township is a very good shop. Their motto, "The Serious Wreck Divers Choice" is not just an advertising phrase. They operate with one boat out of Atlantic City and one out of Barnegat Light, the Dina Dee, one of the best boats in NJ. They also use the famous Sea Lion out of Brielle; it's a few miles up the road, not really in SOUTH Jersey. Another good shop a couple of miles away in Northfield is www.eastcoastdiving.com. The use a 48' (10-12 divers max?) boat, Atlantus, out of Atlantic City, the 54' Ursula out of Sea Isle City and the Dina Dee, too. If you don't feel you're quite ready to jump into the deep end on your own just yet you might want to consider hiring a guide/DM/instructor/whatever for your first trip. I thinks that's fairly common here. You probably know that many boats/shop require "true" redundant air sources (pony or doubles) on all dives. Some require them only on dives over 80 or 90'. Dives less 80' or so are generally considered "shallow." Student dives are conducted in the 50-80' range. There are many interesting dives in the 60-80' range, notably the Almirante/Flour, as well as the Sachem, Gloria and American Oil, to name a few. Good luck. Dress warm.

Thanks for the great suggestions!! I do have an AOW already and own tanks, a pony, and a drysuit so I am pretty sure my gear is up to par. I think I will follow your addvice and do a few shallow dives to familiarize myself with these waters first. Thanks again for the dive opp suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom