Where to harvest conch/lobster in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, so I go to restaurants that serve conch. Which island or area would be my best opportunity to pick up legal conch shells. Thank you for all comments. I appreciate comments whether I may agree or not but plz be civil when stating your opinion

I've got to imagine it's ok to collect conch shells in Turks & Caicos. They breed them in a farm, so harvesting may not be an issue. Bringing the shells back to the US might be another story, though.

To your question on a charter or from shore, I've always caught mine off a charter. I've seen them shore diving but they were always shorts. I know some divers have luck shore diving in Pompano and Lauderdale by the Sea for bugs.

In WPB and Jupiter, they're in 60+ feet. There are places in the keys that are very shallow but you have to be outside the protected areas. I've had really good luck at the intermediate to deeper reefs like Conch Wall since not many divers hit those for lobster hunting.

Best place to get a shell is at the shell shop. They have legal shells that are all shiny and pink. You’re not likely to find one worthy of display in the ocean, unless it has the original owner. And they are a pretty big fine.

As far as lobster goes, I see folks snorkeling for lobster often around the bridges, in the shallows. Check the regs, there are limits as to how close to shore you can be depending on if the shoreline is improved or not.

And I did grow up as a commercial fisherman in Maine and held a sternmans license until a few years back. And now I understand snoweman a little better. :)

Which island or area would be my best opportunity to pick up legal conch shells.

All conch shells are legal just as long as they don't have a live animal in them or "an off-center hole larger than 1/16 inch in diameter through its spire". In other words, if you find an empty intact shell, it's perfectly legal to collect.

I've got to imagine it's ok to collect conch shells in Turks & Caicos. They breed them in a farm, so harvesting may not be an issue. Bringing the shells back to the US might be another story, though.
Negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.

Big no no in TCI.
Almost all of TCI is zoned in a national park area where harvesting anything is big no no.
There is commerical conch farming, but it is highly regulated.

Don't harvest any conch, live or dead, in the Keys. Here are the rules for shell in Fl:

Recreational Sea Shell Collecting

Make sure when you harvest lobster that you are in season. Here are the rules for that as well:

fwc news: Spiny lobster regular recreational and commercial season starts Aug. 6

If you want to harvest anything: harvest lionfish! It's always open season and there is no license needed. In addition, you'll be helping the natural ecology of Florida from this invasive species.

As I understand the queen conch shells can be collected if empty. Although not many shells will look nice from the ocean. Because as of now if I ever come across an empty whole shell regardless of how it looks I’m takin it.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Also in regards to OP many areas in the Keys have lobster just have to make sure it isn’t a protected area. I have one spot in the lower keys that’s only 3-4’ deep but holds lobsters until water gets cold. Tide is very strong here and is a fun trip to make 1-2 times a year. This is snorkeling of coruse

Here's the actual Florida law on the Queen Conch:
68B-16.004 Harvest of Queen Conch Prohibited:

(1) A person may not harvest, kill, molest, harm or mutilate a queen conch within or without Florida Waters, or possess, transport or land a queen conch regardless of where harvested.

(2) A person may harvest a queen conch shell if the shell does not contain a live queen conch at the time of harvest and a live queen conch is not killed, mutilated, or removed from the shell prior to the harvest of the shell. A person may not possess within or without Florida Waters a queen conch shell that has an off-center hole larger than 1/16 inch in diameter through its spire.

(3) The presence of queen conch aboard a vessel in or on Florida Waters, while one or more persons from the vessel are overboard, constitutes prima facie evidence that the queen conch was harvested from Florida Waters in violation of this chapter.

(4) Rules 68B-16.004 and 68B-16.0041, F.A.C. will not be construed to prohibit the unintentional capture of a queen conch in the course of another lawful fishing activity. A person who unintentionally catches a queen conch shall immediately return the queen conch to the water unharmed.

Caveat: don't take any shell from the protected areas in the Keys. In fact, you might check with the captain of your vessel to be sure that they are OK with you bringing shells on their boats. Many enforce a strict "no harvest" rule so they don't have to tangle with FWC over any misunderstandings.

And in fact I do not bring home conch that I took on Cay Sal. But I do gorge while there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom