Where to harvest conch/lobster in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m a recent ow certified scuba diver looking for the best way for my girlfriend and I to harvest conch/lobster in the Keys at the end of August. Should we snorkel or scuba and will h or without a charter? Thank you

I was gratified to see that Conch is on the rebound in Cozumel, at least within the park limits. We used to harvest them occasionally in the USVI in the 70"s, but I have seen populations drop precariously and I am now happy to see them shovel their way across the sand.

Harvest? In season, properly licensed, there's usually enough competition that you can't "harvest" lobsters anywhere. A dive boat might take you to a particular spot they know, but there's still no guarantee of finding them. Last year's hurricane actions also seem to have wiped out or relocated a lot of the southern lobster population further up the coast.

By all means, fun to go lobstering, but "harvest" sounds overoptimistic.

. . .

By all means, fun to go lobstering, but "harvest" sounds overoptimistic.

I get what you mean, but I interpreted "harvesting" in the same sense deer hunters use it: as a nostalgic euphemism for killing an animal for the hunter's use where there is a potential for overpopulation that needs to be controlled. In many places, deer would overpopulate were it not for hunters. The same really cannot be said about lobsters anymore, and most certainly not conch. So, to my ears, "harvest" sounds not only overly optimistic but also a bit nostalgic.

I get what you mean, but I interpreted "harvesting" in the same sense deer hunters use it: as a nostalgic euphemism for killing an animal for the hunter's use where there is a potential for overpopulation that needs to be controlled. In many places, deer would overpopulate were it not for hunters. The same really cannot be said about lobsters anymore, and most certainly not conch. So, to my ears, "harvest" sounds not only overly optimistic but also a bit nostalgic.

I would counter this with that it should be qualified for Caribbean lobster. The State of Maine does a good job of maintaining a harvest. Lobsters too small are thrown back (otherwise it would be "mining"). Lobsters too big are thrown back. Size is measured by the length of the back, from the eyes to the start of the tail. Any females bearing eggs (berries) are notched in the tail and thrown back. Anyone catching a lobster with a notched tail must throw it back.

It really p!sses me off when I see four+ pound lobsters in restaurants being marketed as "Maine Lobsters". Those lobsters were mined in NH, MA or maybe RI. They are NOT Maine Lobsters. I don't know who would want to eat one of those huge lobsters. The beasts are probably 50+ year old.

Can you tell I grew up in Maine? (and, no, I was never a lobsterman)

Yeah, I know "harvesting" has become a euphemism for "hunting Bambi!" but when it comes to something we refer to as BUGS...Eight legs, not so cute and cuddly....And you can't harvest them like wheat in a field, either. Mostly, you have to hunt them down and chase them into their lairs. States that allow tickle sticks (like Florida) and only are home to clawless lobster-cousins, make that too easy. It just ain't sporting if the bug can't bite back. (And if you've ever had a big one literally come right at you? Damn right you're gonna flinch!)

I’m a recent ow certified scuba diver looking for the best way for my girlfriend and I to harvest conch/lobster in the Keys at the end of August. Should we snorkel or scuba and will h or without a charter? Thank you

Ok, so I go to restaurants that serve conch. Which island or area would be my best opportunity to pick up legal conch shells. Thank you for all comments. I appreciate comments whether I may agree or not but plz be civil when stating your opinion

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom