where to go???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheHobster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
All:

I have to take some students out weekend of Oct 30-31; supposed to do Gilboa and help with an AOW; but if not enough numbers, may go closer to home.

Anyone know how viz and temps are for any or all of the following?

Natural Springs Resort
Blue Springs
France Park
Phillips Quarry

All are closer to Indy and would involve less travel costs. Any help is appreciated.

I have seen several reports that Hidden Paradise is still essentially soup diving. Those were reports from last weekend and yesterday. It seems that as it gets colder, it clears up if it's dry but mucks up with even the least bit of rain. Given the forecast for this coming Sat through next Wed, my bet would be that you could count on HP being less than 5' on 10/30-31.

I used to like HP too; but gotta do whats best for the trainees; NSR seems to be a roller coaster and Phillips I haven't been to in years.

Call Tom Leaird at Leairds Underwater Service in Muncie. He;s been working out at the quarry the last couple weeks. Although I'm not sure if it's deep enough for the AOW deep dive. When I did ice there I went to 55ft and don't think it gets much deeper than that. I'd want 90 at least for the deep dive. You'd need to call him anyway to make arrangements as the hours are not regular. But I'm betting they'll be there this weekend.

It may help your numbers out, it may not but we are going to have a pumpkin carving contest at White Star quarry that weekend... it would be an added bonus to your divers.

Rich

all, well not enough people for AOW so we will go local; Natural Springs Sat (was 20-30 ft Sunday) and either Phillips or France Park Sunday - any suggestions??? Blue Springs is closer but viz was a cloudy 20', and no amenities.

Jim I have emailed Tom so we'll see - I actually would prefer there as I need to be in Ft Wayne one of the evenings, but had a DMC fall there last time on the wet sloping grass

Not familiar with that. When I dove it there was snow on the ground and a good 8 inches of ice on the quarry!

so you are familiar with the slope then :) last time I was there a few years ago was during spring turnover. I literally went face first into the runabout at 15' or so; it was not good, but had been there the previous November and we had 30+.

Last edited:
All:

Natural Springs was so good we went both days! had 25-30' viz; my group saw a catfish a few yellow perch and the regular denizens of bluegills and largemouth bass; the other group saw a walleye and a grass carp, but no catfish. Water temp was 58, which kinda surprised me.

Saturday it was nice to be near civilization and have lunch at Red Lobster before heading home. So all the adults got certified; the youngster had some issues with cold. Now to get them to start coming to club functions!

Hobster,

Glad it went well. I am a big fan of Natural Springs, easy access off I-70, easy entry into water, and decent quarry food. Sounds like the water was warmer than expected as well. The viz sounds like a plus.

Dave from Columbus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom