Where to go with mixed-experience budget divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When is your trip? I had a great time in Coron during the month of October, not sure what it is like now. There are several other things to do there but you are cutting it close on the budget...There are so many options all over the philippines, and I am sure you can find budget accomodations almost anywhere especially if you dont mind things like the Backpackers Lodge in moalboal(very cheap for the dorm)...

As you say your group has limited dive experience. What degree of air consumption have you experienced on your dives? If you suck down air because of inexperience or you are larger, you want an area with shallower dive alternatives so you can get closer to an hour of dive time. I went Coron early in my dive carrier and even with 15 liter tank I didn't get more than 30 min. dives and it wasn't worth using Nitrox even. A lot of the wreckS are deep at the bottom being in the 80-120' range. Even the thresher dive at Malapascua you should have at least AOW due to the depth 65-75 feet plus there isn't anything to look at coming up other than the anchor line and blue water. But I must say diving there over the years especially when the sharks weren't so plentiful helped me get my breathing under better control especially the manta dive where you sit and wait at one cleaning station for the mantas to come in. it also helps if you have a computer that give your remaining bottom time based on remaining air as biofeedback.

I think PG, Bohol and Dauin would be the best options in this case. While you are on the trip get Nitrox certified as this will enable you to increase your bottom time for threshers at Malapascua and wrecks in Coron on future trips because there are a lot of places in the Philippines worth exploring.

One more question then... our not-a-diver-yet friend has said she's not likely to be happy being underwater every single day of a trip, would rather do half underwater half above. Looking at some dive shop websites there seems to be not that much topside in Sabang/PG. Lots of watersports, and a little hiking. What other fun things can be done around there? We don't really want to change destinations at this point, but is there another dive site whose topside is spectacular for someone who likes adventuring outdoors?

Not sure what you mean about fun things to do. Don't forget to do Verde Island as a day or half day trip. A must do. That's diving.
Well, you could rent a motorcycle and go out to the tamarraw falls or the other direction to aninuan. There is a hiking group that does some hikes, you could ask about this at the full moon bar. If you like riding a bike, cyclocross, you could ride out to tamarraw on a bike, now that's one heck of a scenic ride.
You could always hire a boat/banka and go exploring different beaches/coves.
For me, I just like relaxing and hanging out on the balcony with a beer, see my Avatar.
Hey if you in to Karaoke, (most Filipinos are), you can get your fill of that.
I think you could sign up to visit the native hill people, the Magyans (probably mispelled).
Well, have fun.

Back
Top Bottom