Where to go? SW Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AevnsGrandpa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all Conchers,

My wife is wanting to get away in early September to south west Florida. This is great because she said I can dive!! She also wants to snorkel. We are looking for a nice beach, good diving and snorkeling area somewhere south of Tampa to as far down as Marco.

I have read on here on the board that Venice and Naples are nice for such activities. Any comments for me? Is diving and snorkeling for fossil shark teeth still a big thing in Venice?
Any good hotels on the beach??

Thanks for the help!!

Jeff

Venice is a good spot for low viz diving while searching for fossils. I'll be in Grenada in early (3 - 10) September, but there are lots of folks in this area who'll be happy to dive with you.

Jeff,

Yes, and yes. Just post here when you're coming, and I'm sure myself or others will be willing to meet you at Venice beach for sharks' teeth. There is a hotel just a couple of blocks from the beach, but I don't know the name.

Also, another site you may want to visit is in Bradenton, the sugar barge. It's a wreck that's only around 100 yards from shore in 15' and can be dove or snorkled (if the vis is ok).

Looks like we'll be a bit more south, probably staying on Ft. Myers Beach. What all is down there? I sure cn drive up to Venice, but what is down around Myers and Naples?

Jeff

There are a few Artificial reefs in the Ft Myers/Naples area, Also a couple of Charter companies run from the area as well Although I haven't used any of them as I use my own boat, but I may be persuaded into showing you a couple of them. As for snorkeling you won't find much except sand in Ft Myers and the Vis is alot worse than Venice.

Let us know as time gets closer, and possibly one of us or all of us will meet up for some diving and fun...

I did a search for Ft. Myers and read a variety of threads and posts and it sound like the basic opinion is it would be better to drive to Ft. Lauderdale, for both better vis and better shore dives.

I'll PM a few folks when the dates are closer.

Jeff

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom