Where to go, stay, dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

montanagal

Registered
Reaction score
I have been looking at scuba diving for the Philippines and with over 7000 islands and so many dive sites, is a little confusing-mind boggling where and what would be the best place to go.
For those of you who have been to the Philippines, what would you suggest would be the best place to go to a first timer, diving in the Philippines? Would probably only have a week, so would be best if we could stay in one place and not hop around the many islands there.
Is the shore diving good any where and are there good all inclusives that would include diving, hotel stay, and food for a good price?

OK since I'm back in Seattle right now for the weekend, I might as well help out a fellow PNW'er... :wink:

What type of diving do you prefer - wrecks, reefs, macro, big fish, etc?

If you don't want to hop around too much, then I would probably say Puerto Galera.
Puerto Galera is convenient from Manila and offers a nice mix of coral, macro, small wrecks, high adrenaline currents, and some big fish. Plenty of sites to keep you occupied for a week. The dive ops there are very professional and there is a wide range of accomodations to meet most budgets. Also there is a good variety of food and nite life...

If you love wrecks, then there is Coron (flight from Manila) and Subic bay (drive from Manila).

You could also head down Bohol, Negros, and Cebu but would involve more hopping around.

Ha... I'm just bored here waiting for the puddle jumper to vancouver to get back to HK. Its (surprised...) cold and wet in Seattle.

gonna miss the Seahwaks game though :(

Montanagal, forgot to mention N try Asia Divers or Atlantis. Rooms are a bit on the higher side usd50+ per nite but they can arrange everything for you including private transportation from Manila airport. Do a google search and you'll find there page or some other SBer will be nice enough to post the links.

montanagal:
I have been looking at scuba diving for the Philippines and with over 7000 islands and so many dive sites, is a little confusing-mind boggling where and what would be the best place to go.
For those of you who have been to the Philippines, what would you suggest would be the best place to go to a first timer, diving in the Philippines? Would probably only have a week, so would be best if we could stay in one place and not hop around the many islands there.
Is the shore diving good any where and are there good all inclusives that would include diving, hotel stay, and food for a good price?

Aside from Paks suggestion, here's another option.

Fly to manila and get a connecting flight to dumaguete. From dumaguete, you can easily go to Bohol, Apo Island, Moalboal and siquijor. During your SIT before flying back, you can go whale watching or enjoy the beaches. :D

Just discovered diving in the Philippines myself and have taken to the country (and San Miguel Lite) in a big way! Here is my suggestion and to do list - recorded for posterity:

Done:
Puerto Galera/Sabang Beach
- awesome destination, convenient 3 hours ride from Manila (and international airports)
- good mix of diving/non diving options. Nightlife ranges from wholesome fun at the Point/Capt Greggs to the downright dubious at Sabang
- huge variety of dive sites from murky Sabang wreck or Canyons. Day trips to Verde.
Cons: - Sabang is not a nice beach. Must take bangka to White Beach for great Italian meals.

To do list:
EX Cebu:
Malapascua: - thresher sharks/manta rays/pelagics/nice beaches
Bohol/Panglao Island: - Alona Beach/nice beaches/nightlife/daytrips to Balicasag/Apo/Calibao

Dumaguete: - access to Apo Reef/nice resorts.
South Leyte: - whale sharks from Nov to May

From Puerto Princesa:
Tubbataha Reef: - best diving in Philippines from Mar to June. UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Last but not least
Boracay: - great beaches, not so good diving. But there is more to life than tanks.

Any other suggestions on how to spend Pesos?

@monts: i'd echo PG... or anilao if the night life is not important to you... or after a few days you might also want to cross the channel from PG to anilao for even more amazing macro

@tram: that's the first time EVER that i'd heard the point as being referred to as "wholesome" hahahahahahahahahahaha

btw: best italian food i EVER had in PG was at fisherman's cove near muelle bay... i hope it's still there and run by giuseppe

Jag

shugar:
@tram: that's the first time EVER that i'd heard the point as being referred to as "wholesome" hahahahahahahahahahaha

btw: best italian food i EVER had in PG was at fisherman's cove near muelle bay... i hope it's still there and run by giuseppe

larry will be deeply insulted :crazy3:

the italian place in sabang spoon took us was pretty good, actually :)

you can also do anilao. some resorts have nice shore dives

iris_ice:
larry will be deeply insulted :crazy3:

the italian place in sabang spoon took us was pretty good, actually :)

you can also do anilao. some resorts have nice shore dives
that would be le bistrot... best food i've ever had on sabang...

haven't tried the new toko's yet though, so i still have very good dreams of michel's sheu le creme, the tenderloin steak, the beof bourgigionne, and the terrine... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

the sheu le creme is still the most orgasmic dessert i've ever had in my whole life... as in please-pass-the-tissue orgasmic...

Jag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom