Where to go in S.E.Asia on budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadudee

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am planning a budget trip sometime from end of Oct to Janurary. Any recommendations? I am likely to travel alone cos sometimes it is a burden to wait as an organizer and the end result is not what you wished for.

Anyone got any idea on a good priced for round the region dive trip? Could be a liveon board or simply day dives. Duration normally ranges from 4D3N to 7D6N/5N depending on location and allowed budget.

Thanks alot first!!!!!!

:)

i would say thailand and the phillipines are your main options. really cheap diving for beginners is available in ko tao thailand (in the gulf near samui) but unfortunately, it will be rainy season there till early next year. if you don't mind possible rain, dives are around $10 each if you buy 6+ package or about $18 if you don't. accomodation ranges from $5-$15 for really nice bungalows.

you could go to the andaman sea side (phuket, ko lanta, ko phi phi, similians) but diving there and hotels are more expensive...but the dive sites are much better. dives here about $20 each. resort prices are all over the map depending on how nice or basic you want. live-aboards are also possible here.

in the phils, prices for dives are about the same as andaman. here too you will likely encounter rain some of the time this time of year. main sites are puerta gallera and dumaguete. both outstanding sites. rooms run from $10-$50 per night.

food is cheap in both places, with thailand having the edge in variety and quality.

have fun.

I would suggest Similian Islands off Thailand. It offers some of the best diving anywhere. Huge vis and large pelagics make it very appealing. Also the price is right. Thailand is very cheap. I have lived here two years now.

There are many live aboard options out of Phuket or you can now go from mainland abord high speed catamarans. The Similian and Surin Island groups are fantastic. From there you can hit up Koh Phi Phi and the King Cruiser Wreck, then over to Koh Tao to finish off the trip. Let me know if you have any questions.

i think Anilao, Philippines is still among, if not, the cheapest among those enumerated...
food is great, boatmen and resort staff are very accommodating and the divers are really spoiled...

if you need questions regarding reservations, resorts and stuff, you may PM me... and maybe i can join you since you'll be alone...

You may want to check out Phuket,Thailand.A great place to do day dives too_Or check out the Philipines.They have great diving in Palawan,Cebu etc.Not too expensive compared to Sipadan in Malaysia.How about,Bali or Sulawesi,in Indonesia.I heard great diving,especially in Sulawesi.Check them out.Good luck.

I had a good experience with the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia. 4 days/ 3 nights with 4 meals in an A/C room with private bathrooms for about $100 USD. You could find less expensive places too. The diving was cheap too.

I'm doing a liveaboard trip to Apo Reef in Mindoro, Philippines from Oct. 29 to Nov 2. Apo Reef is a marine reserve with a huge off-shore reef system that offers endless sites for wall and drift diving. One can expect to see large marine creatures such as Tuna, Mackerel, Manta Rays, Turtles and Sharks.

Cost is about US$355.

You may PM me if you're interested

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom