Where to go in Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonaire is out because I would really want to do all the shore diving and I can't really do that by myself, plus I am under the impression that is mostly for divers.
Belize is a possibility, hopefully the dive sites are close to by.
I am not sure why he is not into Caymans, I think he figures I will abandon him and just be underwater all the time if we go there, I would be sorely tempted.
He can't walk very far at all, I mean he has to use crutches thru the airport, and then he can walk far enough to make it to the pool but not far enough to golf or to enjoy a walk along the beach. Soaking in the pool seems to help if he can be in it for hours on end, so a nice, warm pool is a must.
I have to check out Anthony's Key as I haven't heard of it before.... All these suggestions, I have to start another search on google. keep em coming.... :14:
choco

St Thomas sounded like the dive sites would be far apart, and thus far from the hotel. It also seems like it is crowded and way americanized, just from what I have read so far. I am not sure I would feel safe cabbing all over the place without him.
I'll have to read more RE: Curacao.... maybe I can convince him he would like Caymans.... Thanks for the help

As far as Belize goes, if you stay on Ambergris Caye you can see the reef from your hotel. Check out Ecologic Divers, they advertise on this site. Ambergris is a little bit touristy for me but should suit your needs. I saw a couple people in wheel chairs.

<< I have to check out Anthony's Key >>

NO!! To get to the dining room, you have to climb a long flight of stairs - not something your husband will want to do 3x per day.

I am biased (since I live on Grand Cayman), but your criteria really do seem to fit the Cayman Is. Go to Cayman Brac or Little Cayman if you REALLY want to avoid other distractions (i.e., other than diving). If you want access to good restaurants and the odd non-diving activity, try Grand Cayman.

I know it wasn't in your original list, but what about Grand Bahama Is.??

OK. Now we have some information.
You want St. Croix. Stay by Cane Bay.
You will want to dive with Cane Bay Dive Shop

www.canebayscuba.com

Contact one of the owners (Hal or Suzanne)
Tell them about your special needs.
If you need a dive buddy, I have a friend who divemasters with Cane Bay, she may be able to help you out. Or, the shop can arrange to have her dive with you (for a small fee of course).

The shop is right across from a gorgeous beach. Your husband can sit right on the beach or in the restaurant/bar that is overlooking the beach. You could dive all day and never leave this spot. The reef is about 50 yards from shore. It is stunning. They have boats that go out a couple times a day (at least). They have Nitrox. Best thing is the owners are awesome and will give you some great ideas for your husband. I don't think you will go wrong with this choice.

Of course, you have to promise you'll head to Off the Wall Restaurant at least one night. That place is my favorite after diving bar/restaurant in the world.

Good luck!

JCF

PS - Northstar is an amazing dive. Go deep, stay long.

///

Alex777 is right, it's quite a climb to the restaurant at Anthony's Key. It's a great resort and the diving is good, but it would be pretty challenging for somebody with limited mobility.

The same issues would tend to apply to St. Lucia, which is very mountainous. Anse Chastenet resort is the closest to the dive sites, which are very good, but the resort sprawls over the hillside and beach area and would not work for your husband.

The resorts on Cayman Brac and Little Cayman are pretty accessible. You would have great diving and he could hang in the pool. The Brac Reef Resort on Cayman Brac and Little Cayman Beach Resort on Little Cayman (obviously) have hot tubs, too, which he might like. Both are well-run and well-regarded resorts. They really cater to divers, but there are always non-diving spouses and companions of divers around. There really is not much to do on either island, so it is very quiet and relaxing.

There is not much to do on little cayman for a non-diver except the bird sancuary. It is a small population. Anthonies key resort in Honduras has more to do, but still remote. Better for a non-diver than little cayman though. Grand Cayman would have ton's , more to do for a non-diver than both combined.

I never even thought of the Bahamas. I am leaning towards the Caymans now, but I still am going to do more research. I have to get it right so that I will be able to talk him into going other places later.

oh, I'm also trying to find shorter flight times from Miami or LAX or DFW so that we won't have to fly for two whole days to get anywhere. We will be flying from Alaska, so that is a consideration too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom