Where to go in Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chocoholic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are going to Puerto Aventuras, Mexico this January :D and then somewhere NOT in Mexico in late April..... so where to go?
Considerations are that my husband has limited mobility (hopefully temporary) and I want to dive but be able to get back to him for most of the day. He can't golf right now so that's not a problem. I am hoping to find a place that he can spend lots of time in the pool and hang out while I dive then I can just hang out with him. Also I would like it to have pretty good diving (close by), doesn't have to be spectacular, lots of fish would be my choice. We like less crowded places, not into partying, good food would be nice. I am considering:

St Kitts
St Lucia
Virgin Gorda
Aruba
Caymans (not my husband's favourite choice)

I have ruled out (for various reasons) Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Saba, St.Maarten, Puerto Rico, Bonaire and St. Thomas from researching the board. Any ideas as to where to go? I have looked at Tripadvisor and other boards but I am most interested in the scuba side of it. Thanks for any input. Choco

Dave Zimmerly:
Roatan, Honduras.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Is there much to do for a non-diver? Would a woman feel safe going off by herself to go diving? Is the diving close to resorts or hotels? I will look into it more on the net. Thanks, Choco

Although the diving is excellent off Virgin Gorda it's a pretty vertically challenging place. Most of the resorts are perched on the hillsides to take advantage of the views, the pools, shops, restaurants are at sea-level and the accommodations are behind them up the hill. So that might not work for you. I've been to Leverick Bay and Little Dix Bay resorts there, both are like that. It's steep enough from the waterfront to the condos that I think there'd have to be stairs. Something around Spanish Town/The Village would be flatter but I don't know what's in that area. We stayed in a villa near the Baths, it was all on multiple levels. Most people do there.

And some of the better restaurants are similar, they're built into the surrounding boulders and have multi-level platforms with stairs. A couple are ground level though, and there's a couple above the Baths that you enter from their parking lot on the same level. btw, the Baths is a 15min hike down to the beach from there.

If you do go there, I highly recommend Dive BVI, they're friendly, extraordinarily accommodating people. And if you want less crowded, quiet places - V.G. is it. What woke us up every morning were roosters and goats.

sjspeck:
Although the diving is excellent off Virgin Gorda it's a pretty vertically challenging place. Most of the resorts are perched on the hillsides to take advantage of the views, the pools, shops, restaurants are at sea-level and the accommodations are behind them up the hill. So that might not work for you. I've been to Leverick Bay and Little Dix Bay resorts there, both are like that. It's steep enough from the waterfront to the condos that I think there'd have to be stairs. Something around Spanish Town/The Village would be flatter but I don't know what's in that area. We stayed in a villa near the Baths, it was all on multiple levels. Most people do there.

And some of the better restaurants are similar, they're built into the surrounding boulders and have multi-level platforms with stairs. A couple are ground level though, and there's a couple above the Baths that you enter from their parking lot on the same level. btw, the Baths is a 15min hike down to the beach from there.

If you do go there, I highly recommend Dive BVI, they're friendly, extraordinarily accommodating people. And if you want less crowded, quiet places - V.G. is it. What woke us up every morning were roosters and goats.

VG sounds incredible, but I guess it'll have to wait based on the challenging terrain. Thanks for the info. Choco

....and you ruled out Bonaire?????

I would add Curacao to your list of potentials.
Key West, Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, Grenada.

How mobile is your husband? Does he like to gamble (Atlantis in the Bahamas would be cool)? What does he like to do? Why did you rule out St. Thomas and Bonaire? Looking for quiet, try St. John.

Chocoholic:
I am hoping to find a place that he can spend lots of time in the pool and hang out while I dive then I can just hang out with him. Also I would like it to have pretty good diving (close by), doesn't have to be spectacular, lots of fish would be my choice. We like less crowded places, not into partying, good food would be nice.

Curious why Cayman is not one of his favorites? It seems to have all the criteria, although on Little Cayman about all he would have to do is hang out.

Back
Top Bottom