Where to go for referral OW dives in Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LuvDaOcean

Reaction score
I would like to take my 16yr old son to Key Largo for our OW certification dives. I really want to turn him *on* to diving rather than turn him *off* which could very likely happen with the local Monterey OW cert dives here in CA.

I was lucky enough to live in Tavernier for almost a year in 1995 spending most of my time in the water (mostly snorkeling, couple of ow dives w/ DM friend), so I feel very comfortable with choosing Key Largo as his first dive spot. However, I'm really confused as to which dive shop to book with.

I've done an extensive search here in Florida Conch Divers and compiled a pretty long list of some of the places you mentioned as your favorites:

Sea Dwellers
Ocean Divers
Scuba-Do
Rainbow Reef
Island Ventures

Can I get a "majority vote" from you all as to which outfit would be the best one to book our OW certification dives with? Please add your own favorites to the list if they're not up there already.

My son is a gentle (but adventerous) soul who would be really put off by "military-type" instruction. I really, really want this to be FUN for him, yet at the same time I want somebody who will pay close attention to him and evaluate his (and my!) skills throroughly.

Thanks very much for your help! I envy you all living in Florida - you're sooooo lucky! :)

LuvDaOcean:
I would like to take my 16yr old son to Key Largo for our OW certification dives. I really want to turn him *on* to diving rather than turn him *off* which could very likely happen with the local Monterey OW cert dives here in CA.

I was lucky enough to live in Tavernier for almost a year in 1995 spending most of my time in the water (mostly snorkeling, couple of ow dives w/ DM friend), so I feel very comfortable with choosing Key Largo as his first dive spot. However, I'm really confused as to which dive shop to book with.

I've done an extensive search here in Florida Conch Divers and compiled a pretty long list of some of the places you mentioned as your favorites:

Sea Dwellers
Ocean Divers
Scuba-Do
Rainbow Reef
Island Ventures

Can I get a "majority vote" from you all as to which outfit would be the best one to book our OW certification dives with? Please add your own favorites to the list if they're not up there already.

My son is a gentle (but adventerous) soul who would be really put off by "military-type" instruction. I really, really want this to be FUN for him, yet at the same time I want somebody who will pay close attention to him and evaluate his (and my!) skills throroughly.

Thanks very much for your help! I envy you all living in Florida - you're sooooo lucky! :)

I did my check-outs in Largo with Captain Slate's Atlantis Dive Center. They were friendly enough and my instructor was awesome (he's since moved on), but I've read on here that the "cattleboat" mentality has been prevalent of late.

I hear nothing but good about KeyLargoBrents operation (Blue Water Divers?) as well as Quiescence (sp?) and Ocean Divers.

Brent posts frequently on this forum maybe he can give you some more info.

Mike

i'd recommend blue water, island ventures or divers city. i'd stay away from the larger operations(10 divers or more); ocean divers, amy slates, atlantis dive center,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

We cerified in largo in November with Island Reef Divers. They run a 6 Person Boat and Scotty was great with us, recomend highly.

Thanks for your suggestions! I'm checking out the websites now. It looks like Island Reef doesn't offer PADI cert?

A few more questions for you:

I've got the dates of our trip narrowed down to a small margin of 3 days in Key Largo. How do most of the dive shops schedule referrals? Are they pretty easy going about when (what days) they'll accept referrals? Or are their schedules pretty tight?

It looks like they're pretty open for divers that are already certified, but I can't really tell whether or not the same goes for referrals.

Thanks a million!

it's best to call well ahead and reserve your instuctor and dive sites. weekends are crowded,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Another option would be to give Larry Gates (www.larrygates.com) a call. He's a private instructor and a damn good one at that. I've done a number of courses with him (AOW, Nitrox, Wreck, and Rescue). He does OW referrals all the time and uses the Ocean Divers and Scubado charters. The folks at Ocean Divers are aces too. And I've also heard him speak very well of Scubado.

LuvDaOcean:
Thanks for your suggestions! I'm checking out the websites now. It looks like Island Reef doesn't offer PADI cert?

A few more questions for you:

I've got the dates of our trip narrowed down to a small margin of 3 days in Key Largo. How do most of the dive shops schedule referrals? Are they pretty easy going about when (what days) they'll accept referrals? Or are their schedules pretty tight?

It looks like they're pretty open for divers that are already certified, but I can't really tell whether or not the same goes for referrals.

Thanks a million!
Most Key Largo operators (including ours) offer instruction "on-demand" to suit your schedule. Book your checkout dives as far in advance as is possible to ensure instructor availability. Speak with the actual instructor if possible (or ask the operator to have the instructor to call you back) to get a feel for whether or not he or she is a good match "personality-wise" for your son.

I can tell you personally that Brent (KeyLargoBrent) is a great instructor.
I did my AOW/Rescue/MSD with him & my wife did her OW & AOW with him.
He will make you earn your cert (no buying cards here), but he will make sure you enjoy the process. Give him a call & talk to him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom