Where to go for my first trip to Indonesia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The main thing is to avoid Jakarta. :)

I also support Raja Ampat. When I booked my trip a couple of years ago, hadn't even crossed my mind until August. Not only did I get on a good boat, but happily had my own room as did every other solo diver that showed up. There were only twelve of us on a twenty passenger boat. Word must really be getting out because I've been looking to return in January last year and this upcoming and there's "no room at the inn". Still, I believe if a single diver is able to be completely flexible on their schedule, you'll get a spot.

Definitely agree with the other posters..we did Black Manta to RA over Christmas ....was fantastic....we have also travelled with Mermaid, also superb. RA is really popular , you may have to look hard to get a spot or book for Christmas 2016 and have the whole yer to look forward to it.

There are land based resorts that get very good reviews...have a look on Tripadvisor.

Best fishes x

The other route is Singapore Airlines, NY to Singapore (it stops over in Europe somewhere) then on to Manado. Then there is a direct flight from Manado to Sorong (get your LOB or resort to book the internal flight from Manado to Sorong). This way round you can spend a few days in Lembeh/ Bangka before your LOB to get you over your jet lag and to get you back into the water. You can also spend a day or two to explore my adoptive city of Singapore.

Raja Ampat is definitely the best place to go in Indonesia in December/January. You won’t be disappointed! Great macro, coral gardens, big school of barracudas, bumphead parrotfish and jacks, as well as mantas and some muck diving! All in one!
Have a look to our trip blogs if you want to read more about this destination!

Kylegilroy, please check your private messages.

I have my trip booked for 21st oct for 15 nights on the Mermaid I, I am really looking forward to that trip. Has anyone been on that liveaboard?

I have my trip booked for 21st oct for 15 nights on the Mermaid I, I am really looking forward to that trip. Has anyone been on that liveaboard?
I have been on a 9-day liveaboard cruise on the Mermaid I but not to RA. We were going to Komodo National Park and surrounds on that occasion.

The boat is upmarket, very well laid out, clean and spacious. The crew are also very good and if Harri the Finn is the Dive Director, you get someone who is not only very organised but has in-depth knowledge of the local marine life.

Have a good trip.

Raja Ampat

Back
Top Bottom