Where to go diving in Indonesia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

missnaomibird

Registered
Reaction score
Hello

I am thinking of going to Indonesia in October but not sure where to go. Would like to see large pelgics but have also heard that there is very good 'muck diving' there. I have never done that so that also might be fun.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to go for great diving and good operators or liveaboards. Also any budget options. used to independent travl so happy to slum it a bit but it needs to be safe as I am a woman travelling by myself. I am an Advanced diver with approx 150 dives.

Any info really welcome.

thanks

Naomi

Hello,
I am not sure Indonesia is the place to go for big pelagics. But it is one of the best place in the world for diving. One of the difficulty is choosing where to go (Indonesia is a BIG country).

Travelling to Bali is really easy and and there is a lot to see besides diving. Also the dive sites all around the island are really different from each other.
Another major region in Indonesia, is the part East of Bali (towards Komodo). For this part, I would suggest a liveaboard. If you look in this forum, you'll find enthusiastic reports.

Same for another region where the diving is fabulous, North Sulawesi, with walls, reefs around Manado (Bunaken, and Bangka islands) and of course, muck diving in Lembeth. Again, check the reports here on these places.

There is also Papua Barat (Irian Jaya), a bit more difficult to get to but with even more amazing dives.

All the places are safe and easy to travel for a woman alone. I've done it myself (in Sulawesi) and always felt confortable.

I am not sure I helped much you taking a decision, but my advice would be to read reports, and see what suits you best. And then ask more questions! :wink:

Where are you based, If you can get to Singapore or Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia, Manado in North Sulawesi is very quick and easy to get to.

I have met single women traveling there and they seemed to have no problems. Manado area is very safe.

There are many budget options You can dive both Bunaken, big walls and some larger stuff as well as the fascinating world of the Lembeh Straits for the muck diving.

You would be met at the airport by your dive operator as soon as you exit customs.

Two Fish Divers has both Bunaken Island and Lembeh resorts with some budget rooms. You will have an expert local dive guide provided as part of the dive service.

Relax and Dive Manado, Bunaken and Lembeh

See older posts for details on getting there by air etc.

Do as many night dives as you can, especially in Lembeh. One night we saw a crab spawning. Fantastic.

I have dove East Timor, Bali, Wakatobi, Raja Ampat, Lembeh Straits and Bunaken....some of the finest diving in the world....but Big Stuff....Hmmm....You will see massive schools of fish, big schools of Bumphead Parriot fish etc in Raja Ampat/Papua area...the other locations for the most part are smaller stuff. For Big stuff head to Palau or places like Rangiora/Fakarava....Hope this helps.

I have a similar question. I'm going to be on Bali (near airport) for an early-December wedding and want to squeeze in some (excellent) diving. I probably can't do a Sat-Sat liveaboard, but I would fly somewhere easy to reach and not too expensive. I dived N. Sulawesi recently--loved it but want to try another location. Komodo and Raja probably won't work because of time and difficulty of transfer. I don't know about Nusa Penida, Lombok... All suggestions welcome; details appreciated! And how rainy is it likely to be, and how cold the water? Thanks.

Just had a great time in Bali.
Padang bai was excellent, dived with Absolute Scuba & stayed at their accom. Saw the Mantas but missed the Mola Mola.
Went up to Talumben & dived the Liberty. Stayed right on the wreck at Puri Mada.
The wreck was an amazing shore dive, a school of giant lump head wrasse, huge barracuda, an enormous school of jack trevally spiralling around, big grouper, tons of coral, a penetration of the wreck & pygmy seahorse .... all on one dive!!!

The reefs around Nusa Penida/ Lembongan are pretty good. As for big stuff, we saw only ONE BIG Pelagic- The MOLA MOLA Sunfish. I was lucky to spot 2 days in a row. At about 3 x 2 metres at 35 M it was looking damn large. There are Mantas about and the odd White Tip, but mostly saw lots of smaller Indopacific basin fishes. Lots of colour.

Back
Top Bottom