Where To Go As A New Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John A Lewis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
You're a new scuba diver.

You've got that shiny new certification card that you can take just about anywhere to enjoy your activity of choice.

But where should you go?

You'll want to try places that are appropriate to your skill level, of course. You'll want to have fun, see and learn about things scuba-related, and come back to regale friends, family and sundry others with tales of your underwater adventures. All this, of course, while building your skills in a safe and enjoyable way for even greater challenges in the future as you gain confidence.

So read about

BEST DIVE DESTINATIONS FOR BEGINNERS

..to get a taste of where you can go, and share your own destinations in the comments!

I'd recommend a trip to Key Largo, Fl, for warm water shallow reef diving with an op. providing a free guide service (Rainbow Reef Dive Center). If you've got AOW, or get it there, try the deep wrecks. Much of the shallow reef diving is at depths appropriate for minors with depth restrictions. You've got U.S. healthcare available, airfare isn't apt to be bad, U.S. citizens are already familiar with the legal system/highway signs, etc..., and there are topside attractions in Florida and the Keys. Warning: Key Largo is not a beach destination.

Bonaire is great, but I recommend your 1st trip be with a group. To take advantage of the shore diving that made it famous, you'll be driving a rental truck (manual if you don't pay extra, arranged in advance) in a foreign country where you don't recognized most of the road signs and don't know your way around. Can be a great trip, but some help getting acclimated is worthwhile. Curacao, perhaps with the Dive Bus taking you around for guided shore diving, could also work, and you'll have sandy beaches.

I read such good things about Little Cayman Beach Resort; haven't been, but seems like that'd be sweet.

Suitability of Cozumel for newbies has been debated repeatedly. Budget, lots of options, fairly easy to get to, warm water with high viz., but it's often deeper diving and it's generally drift diving. Maybe a 'newbie' on his 2nd trip, or at least with an AOW cert. and the training that goes with it? Or just a better-than-average trained diver?

Since the Bahamas were mentioned in the article, I'd point out they get chilly water in winter, and I suspect Roatan (e.g.: CocoView, Anthony's Key) and Belize (e.g.: Ambergris Caye) ought to be on the radar. In fact, would anyone here recommend the Bahamas over those options?

Richard.

This was an invitation to read a linked article. For a minute there, I thought the thread title was a question.

Where to go as a new diver?

I would suggest a place that you can get the maximum number of dives crammed into your available time.

Right now, it's about quantity and slowly expanding your experience base of dive types. Gentle and easy shore dives, ditto for night diving. Some new boats to experience.

I believe that "spectacular reefs", "amazing diving", and such similar phrases are just only amusing. Go, dive, get that process in your head. I think the first 47 dives you log might be as good anywhere as doing them in a Midwest Rock Quarry.

From the click list, I agree with drrich2 , Bonaire would be a very marginal choice without a group and some preliminary education of rough rubble shore entries, u/w navigation, and the all important standard question of "where do I put my cellphone/car keys", etc., etc. The learning curve here for a noob would be quite steep. Not a recommendation I would make.

From the click list presented, the "Bahamas"? Well, that's a big mess of islands. The dive op of Nassau and Freeport Grand Bahama are well used to dealing with newly minted divers, but would I make an overarching blanket statement of "go to the Bahamas"? No. The outer islands are rewarding and challenging. They too are "the Bahamas". Not the same.

But then again, I'm not selling anything.

We had a great time on our first diving trip in Grand Cayman- there are a few shore diving sites that are easy access and it was easy to get guided dives after we were certified. We had such a good time that we want to go back soon. The shore dives were enough to keep us busy- but there are also boat dives at shallow sites- though admittedly you have to do some research to find shops that will focus on the shallow dives over the deep wall dives.

Pluses are that English is the main language spoken, there are lots of options for food, and the island is pretty easy to navigate once you get used to driving on the left. It's also a pretty short flight from the East Coast. Minuses are that it is a bit expensive- restaurants and lodging are 20% more than in the US, and that you need a car to get around easily (also more expensive than in the US).

For us though, the experience outweighed the cons.

I would head for SE Florida & the Keys, sticking with the shallow reefs. If you want an out of country trip, head to Coco View (Roatan) and dive your butt off in the front yard, rinse and repeat. After that Little Cayman for some of the best in the Caribbean at a nice resort locale. Then take the training wheels off and head for Bonaire for "shore diving freedom." Somewhere in there hit Coz for beautiful dives, great (inexpensive) eats, and laid back fun. Then get the he** out of this hemisphere and go to SE Asia and the Pacific for a diving "acid trip." The world is your oyster and hit all the spots in between (don't forget assorted liveaboards). Go dive. Have fun.:) All assuming (and you know what that means) you're North American based. If not, someone else will chime in. All IMHO, YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom