where to get lessons in Dallas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I can tell ya a little about AquaWorld since nobody else has.

Jean, the fellow that owns the place is a really nice guy and will bend over backwards to accommodate ya.
Dedicated classroom and pool onsite, the indoor pool is so nice and large that some local shops(ie Dive West) use it for their classes.

The Instructors and Divemasters I've worked with have been really good and care alot about giving you quality training.
In fact on some of the stuff I've done (Underwater Navigation, Search and Recovery, etc.) the training was really tough. Fun, but tough, I had a good time and learned a bunch.

I'm not knocking anybody else's shop, but I'm the type of diver who doesn't use a single shop for everything. I go to whatever shop can meet my needs and is the most convenient for me at the time. Aquaworld happens to be the closest shop to my home, but I've had good enough experiences with them to recommend them to anyone. Check em out.....

:eek:uttahere I'm gonna hush now before I get in trouble..........

SoonerBJJ:
I want good technical instruction with the option to pursue more advanced training as it becomes appropriate.

I take that "good technical instruction" means that you want the instructor to expand a bit on the finer aspects of diving and delve more into the philosophies, equipment etc.? If you are wanting more "talk time" with an instructor then look for a smaller shop with more personalized training. Ask the shops you call or visit how many people are in their class. Find out what level the instructor can teach through. If you are looking to pursue additional training in the advanced levels then you may want to stick with one shop or instructor over time for continuity. I always ask divers who come in for Open Water classes, what are they looking for in their dive training? Some divers just want the class so they can go dive on their next trip. Some want to dive more locally and have it become their hobby, some want to go the professional route, some go technical. The of course their is the agency debate, let me rephrase that the "Great agency " debate! PADI, NAUI, SSI, SDI, IANTD, TDI, YMCA, and I surely have left one or two out. This thread has spurred a lot of " my favorite dive shop responses" and that shows how important a relationship can be, and is to many divers. Pursuing a professional level of training within the dive industry may point in the direction of a dive shop that is close to home, because you will spend a lot of time traveling back and forth to the dive shop. Pursuing technical aspects of the dive field will let you broaden your pick of shops but you will still spend an inoordinate amount of time there. I think picking the instructor may fit your needs better when you go technical. Start looking at the dive shops website, listen to the people here, pick a few you like and then go to them a spend a little time while you are there asking questions, giving answers and participating in the overall atmosphere of the shop. Welcome to the sport of diving. Your participation, willingness to learn, and enthusiasm will keep you in the sport.

SoonerBJJ:
I live near downtown but am willing to drive a bit to get what I need.

Do most of these places have their own pools?

Thanks for all the input.

Adventure scuba has its own pool.

www.adventurescuba.us

PADI for recreational stuff, TDI for technical stuff.

TwoBit

Debraw:
This thread has spurred a lot of " my favorite dive shop responses" and that shows how important a relationship can be, and is to many divers.

I think it's great to hear divers advocating their favorites because that demonstrates their commitment to their shop. That is what a beginner is looking for in a shop.

Lots of great info here. Thanks again.

Thought I'd pipe in with this, Emerald Sea doesn't exist anymore so you can scratch them off your list. This is a pretty recent development for those who are not aware of it.

TxHockeyGuy:
Thought I'd pipe in with this, Emerald Sea doesn't exist anymore so you can scratch them off your list. This is a pretty recent development for those who are not aware of it.

Well, really, it's not that they don't exist. They just moved. Into our shop! Mike and I have been buds for a long time, we're both Naui Course Directors, and he was really getting tired of retail, and wanted to focus on training, but with a retail shop to run, that's not easy. So we worked out a deal, and we bought their shop so we could bring Mike and Will over to ScubaToys, and Woody will be doing the tech programs.

That also means their mixing panel is coming over, so as soon as everything is set up, we'll be doing the nitrox and tri-mix fills at scubatoys - but that part will be run by Mike from Emerald Sea... along with the training department.

So if you're looking for the Emerald Sea boys... just stop on by Scubatoys and say Hi to them!

TxHockeyGuy:

When did this happen and your are 100% on this? If so that sucks

Lukiedukie:
When did this happen and your are 100% on this? If so that sucks

It was finalized this last week. We've got most everything moved over except the compressor and fill station - that should make it over to ScubaToys in the next few days, and Will and Mike will be on staff as soon as the moving is finished!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom