Where to Flounder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How exactly do you measure the fish before you spear/stab them? Since these fish are regulated and there is a minimum size, I'm sure you do obey the rules.

decapoddiver:
How exactly do you measure the fish before you spear/stab them? Since these fish are regulated and there is a minimum size, I'm sure you do obey the rules.

1.) Alot of people have marks on their spear poles denoting each lenght.

2.) For me, I shoot it unless it's clearly big enough....it's really not too hard to do as long as you are not greedy.

I've never shot anything short yet (and I've taken my fair share of fish). As with everything, even if one does not care about the health of the species of they are hunting, the laws are very strict about this sort thing and the EPO loves nailing the little guy. It's not worth losing a few grand worth of dive gear, a new boat, and a new truck over a 1" short flounder.

decapoddiver:

One way is to have a mark on the spear to first make sure it is at least that large. That's what I did first. But I quickly discovered fish don’t like being measured and usually try to swim away.

Another way is to look at the fish and be sure it is definitely of the right size. You need to develop an eye for such things. It is important to be objective and ignore your inner voice that says “forget measuring, just take it fast now!!!”. Just take the really big ones at first, and as you get better, start lowering your standards while staying in the legal size range.

I must admit I did spear a few flounders which were smaller then the legal limit one time. I felt bad about it because that’s irreversible. I took them in spite of the danger of being ticketed because I would feel even worse knowing they died for nothing. I have a good eye now and I stopped being greedy.

MASS-Diver:
It's not worth losing a few grand worth of dive gear, a new boat, and a new truck over a 1" short flounder.
Is that really what the consequence could be? Sheesh, what a bunch of fish Nazzis. A hundred dollar ticket would have been more than enough.

In a worst case senerior, they(EPO) watch you hook up your boat to your truck (with your dive gear inside), they take everything - you may or may not get it back after paying lots of fines. Bad news.

BTW: here's a thread about some spearfishing luck I had at one point this summer:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t62803-.html

Man, this thread made me realize how much I miss diving. I haven’t been in the water for 2 months. And after hurting my ankle in Vermont last week I realized I don't really like skiing that much.

Nice catch in that picture, John. I've seen a few Cods but havn't speared any yet.

Chebby:
Man, this thread made me realize how much I miss diving. I haven’t been in the water for 2 months. And after hurting my ankle in Vermont last week I realized I don't really like skiing that much.

Nice catch in that picture, John. I've seen a few Cods but havn't speared any yet.

I hear you, untill a few weeks ago I was out of diving injured. I missed over 5 months...it was tough and I'm having troubling shaking off the rust.

I'll be ready to go when I get back from the Keys after the first week of January. If you guys are up for a dive, let me know. We may not see many fish, but you never know. Maybe we can hit the rocks off Sandy Beach in Cohasset, or something easy and convenient like that.

I stopped mostly because I started to see less and less fish and lobsters. My last dive a Mangolia Rocks was pretty booring, not much to see. Can't wait for the summer.

MSilvia:
I'll be ready to go when I get back from the Keys after the first week of January. If you guys are up for a dive, let me know. We may not see many fish, but you never know. Maybe we can hit the rocks off Sandy Beach in Cohasset, or something easy and convenient like that.

Hey, if you want me to entice me into diving wet in the middle of the winter you must do better than "we may not see many fish" :)

Just kidding. Actually, if the water is around 45, air temp is above freezing and no winshield factor, I might consider doing it. I am not picky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom