Where to Flounder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Culled from the suspicious spear fishing thread...
Chebby:
MSilvia, where do you spear for flounder? I've seen very little this year, mostly at Folly, are there any better places?

I haven't seen many at Folly, but I've had good luck at Back Beach, Old Garden, Cathedral, and Pebble Beach, but in my experience it has more to do with where you look than where you go.

Flounder have remarkably good camoflague ability, and sometimes combine that with a thin covering of sand, so they tend to seek out areas where they can make the most of that.

I've seen the lion's share of the flounder I've hit in sandy patches surrounded by rock reef, but you sometimes have to look for the eyes or you'll go right past them. If they're on the move, they tend to be "fish colored" and a lot easier to see, but harder to hit without persuit.

The largest flounder I've gotten so far was almost 20", speared off Minot Light in Cohasset/Scituate.

MSilvia:
Culled from the suspicious spear fishing thread...

I haven't seen many at Folly, but I've had good luck at Back Beach, Old Garden, Cathedral, and Pebble Beach, but in my experience it has more to do with where you look than where you go.

Flounder have remarkably good camoflague ability, and sometimes combine that with a thin covering of sand, so they tend to seek out areas where they can make the most of that.

I've seen the lion's share of the flounder I've hit in sandy patches surrounded by rock reef, but you sometimes have to look for the eyes or you'll go right past them. If they're on the move, they tend to be "fish colored" and a lot easier to see, but harder to hit without persuit.

The largest flounder I've gotten so far was almost 20", speared off Minot Light in Cohasset/Scituate.

I never tried Back Beach. I once drove nearby and it was pretty crowded (just people walking around.) That kinda thing turns me off. Don't like when 5 people are waiting for you to come out to ask profound questions like: "Are you a scuba diver or something?" or "how can you stand that cold water, don't your fingers get cold?" Same goes for Pebble too. Plus, if this is considered a "public beach" as opposed to a "bunch of rocks where you can dive at", I am pretty sure you can't use a spear or speargun if it is in Rockport. I actually called the marine department and that's what they told me.

When is the best time for flounder, end of summer? There is no flounder now, right?

20 inches? That's huge! What was your record on one single day? I never got more than 2 and the largest was 16 inches.

Also, I really like black sea bass (rockfish) and I see plenty of it when I dive wrecks in NY (they are not as fussy there about advanced certifications). Ever seen them on any shore dives in MA?

Chebby:
20 inches? That's huge! What was your record on one single day? I never got more than 2 and the largest was 16 inches.
I once got three flounders and a couple of lobster in a single dive, but the lobster were just targets of opportunity.
Chebby:
Also, I really like black sea bass (rockfish) and I see plenty of it when I dive wrecks in NY (they are not as fussy there about advanced certifications). Ever seen them on any shore dives in MA?
Yes, but not frequently. I mostly see them at offshore sites.
Chebby:
When is the best time for flounder, end of summer? There is no flounder now, right?
I'm not entirely sure, but I usually only hunt them during the warmer part of the year.
Chebby:
Plus, if this is considered a "public beach" as opposed to a "bunch of rocks where you can dive at", I am pretty sure you can't use a spear or speargun if it is in Rockport. I actually called the marine department and that's what they told me.
I'm pretty sure it's not up to Rockport what fishing gear I use. I promise not to spear anything on the beach, but where I enter the water to do my fishing shouldn't determine what I can fish with. According to state regulations, it's fine. What "marine department" did you call?

MSilvia:
What "marine department" did you call?

I think I called the Rockport harbormaster office. I did it to inquire if I am allowed to collect mussels in Rockport to which they replied; Feck no, they are all lead posioned, or something like that (wish they told me that before me and my pregnant wife ate them about 5 or 6 times).

They also told me if the officer sees me with a speargun or a spear on any bublic beaches I would get a ticket. I actually asked them because some guy in Cape Add divers (a customer) told me he got a ticket for just that the other day.

http://www.town.rockport.ma.us/doc/092/beachrules2001.pdf

I'll be damned... they do have a regulation about that, from 9am to 5pm from June 15 through September 1st. Also, no spearing within 150' of the mean low tide line, with a $100 fine no less.

I've never had a problem with it, but I use a 3' pole spear that serves double duty as a tickle stick. I might be "below the radar" with that. I'll certainly be more careful about it in the future.

There's no real need for a gun for several species in MA. Flounder and cod can both be taken with realitve ease with a pole spear (often times I take flounder with my knife).

Tataug (sp?), on the other hand, are mainly taken with a gun.

Thanx for posting that link. I find

6. Dressing or undressing in public view within these areas is prohibited.

particularly interesting. How are divers supposed to change?

Another reason for me to avoid public beaches and stick to isolated rocky spots.

Chebby:
6. Dressing or undressing in public view within these areas is prohibited.
Just be sure you aren't standing on the beach when you change I guess.
MASS-Diver:
Flounder and cod can both be taken with realitve ease with a pole spear
Unfortunately, the regulation specifies that spears and spearguns are equally prohibited.

MSilvia:

Unfortunately, the regulation specifies that spears and spearguns are equally prohibited.

You don't need a spear or anything like that. A dive knife does a splendid job. These aren't the brightest fish in the sea. They rely on you not seeing them all to often. I don't catch them but my buddy just goes out with his dive knife and always brings some back. Of course the knife is a pretty good size pig-sticker.

DSDO

Alan

MSilvia:

Yup, you're right Matt. my bad. I'm glad it's just on the NS though, we were taking keeper cod off gunrock up into July this year!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom