Where to find quality used equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got 2 good AL80s (plus a bunch of crap to go with it) off Kijiji here in Canada. Don't know if that's available down there. Here there is a local one in Nova Scotia and my buddy just went to the guy's house to pick it up.

I just had good success with letgo. I use the app on my phone.

Looking for the same as I go to replace some 25 year old equipment that has recalls and can't be serviced.....If you know other could you post them here? Thanks in advance.

Let's start out by asking exactly what equipment you are looking to purchase. I'm interested to hear what equipment you have that has known recalls that cannot be rebuilt. If there is a recall, then the manufacturer is usually responsible for making it safe or replacing it.

After sorting out what equipment you're interested in, go to the individual equipment "Classified" sections here on ScubaBoard and place a WTB (Want to Buy) add for each piece you need. You'll get plenty of offers-take the one that best fits your requirements.

Now for a shameless plug. There are a number of us here who buy, rebuild and resell regulators to support our hobby/habit. Halocline, Buddasummer, Fishpie, Notsure, me, and probably a few others. You could contact any of us and get a good deal. Additionally, I can recommend the shops that @OWIC647 and @rsingler own and manage to give you a very good deal.

Last edited:
Facebook Scuba Swap and Shop as well. Jim Lin, especially. You can PM him what you’re looking for and he will keep an eye out. He sent me a replacement item when something was damaged before I even sent out the original! Let him know I sent ya. :)

From my experience, ScubaBoard's Classifieds are probably your best bet. Craigslist and Ebay can be very challenging if you don't know the correct questions to ask, or if the seller doesn't know the full history of the gear (often times I've seen people selling equipment that aren't divers). Personally I've sworn off Ebay, I've had too many bad experiences (good news for those of you that still shop on there).

Ebay can be very challenging if you don't know the correct questions to ask, or if the seller doesn't know the full history of the gear (often times I've seen people selling equipment that aren't divers). Personally I've sworn off Ebay, I've had too many bad experiences (good news for those of you that still shop on there).

On the other hand, if you do know what you are looking at, it can work out quite well. That goes for Craigslist and other venues as well.

eBay has been good to me, as I have had items come not as advertized and had no problem getting a refund, and a return postage, so far.

Bob

I have 25 year old US divers 1st, 2nd and octo. The first is fine. The Second stage and octo were recalled due to cracks in the bodies. Think they used the wrong plastic or something. Shops balk at servicing them. I dove on them last year so far they are fine. I figure if my 1st malfunctioned I would have my octo to head for the surface at a leisurely pace. I never dive very deep or in an overhead environment.

I also have a 25 year old computer that still works but is very basic compared to new computers.

The black primaries usually weren't too bad but the yellow octos were prone to cracking if too much force was used at the orifice nut. You could just pick up a replacement for the yellow octos if it is cracked. You can get rebuild kits from vintage double hose and learn to service them yourself. If you aren't looking to take on a diy project, look for a sale on the Taiwanese regs. Or the Titan classic/Titan lx/aqualung core on sale.

Dive shops often sell off their used gear, reg sets, bcd’s and computers yearly or some where in that time line and replace it with new,

Facebook Scuba Swap and Shop as well. Jim Lin, especially. You can PM him what you’re looking for and he will keep an eye out. He sent me a replacement item when something was damaged before I even sent out the original! Let him know I sent ya. :)

Jim has some good deals from time to time. Just make sure you tell him to ship in a box. He once sent me two 2nd stages essentially wrapped in paper. No padding or packaging.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom