Where to do Check Out Dive in Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a Key Largo home owner and somebody who had is own child certified in Key Largo, I would have to say that IMHO I am more than qualified to make an unbiased recommendation of instructors, operations and boats (down to which boats had to most recent engine overhauls).

I am not going to bicker on the web, but I made my recommendation very thoughtfully based on all the factors I consider significant when getting KIDS certified.

I think that's my point. All the ops in Key Largo are great and everyone has their preferences. They'll all get you to the dive site and back with relative ease and safety.

But this is about KIDS getting certified. I'm sure that there are lots of qualified instructors in the Keys, but Elena is exceptional. If the dive op is important, than the instructor in the water with kids is ten times as important. You don't want to be just another client: you want someone who is patient, who cares and demands the very best. Elena does just that. She doesn't let people just slide by and you can be sure that no one is attentive to her students in the water as Elena.

Quite often, if Elena is your instructor, you get the added bonus of a second instructor in the water with you. While I don't interfere with her classes, I do add some fun to the class where appropriate. :eyebrow:

I am not going to bicker on the web, but I made my recommendation very thoughtfully based on all the factors I consider significant when getting KIDS certified.
Who's bickering? You gave us your opinion, and I disagreed with part of it. I diodn't call you a liar or anything like that. Lighten up. There is no need to take my disagreement with you personally. That's the great thing about ScubaBoard: we have a variety of opinions that the OP can weigh.

Hey, I'm only an instructor. What do I know about training anyway? :D

Lighten up fellas! Scubaboard is a place for free exchange of information and opinions. Not everyone will always agree on every point.

kidsdream, It's awesome that your kids had a wonderful experience with a good instructor and want to share that with others. If your instructor was awesome, do give him/her kudos here on Scubaboard wherever he/she might be teaching now. Instructors want to know what they did so right that it deserves public praise. Instructors develop a following through word-of-mouth (& the internet) and a great instructor can help make a dive op just as a poor one can break an op. And I agree with you
There are of course lots of choices of operations and instructors (and not so good ones - including one owned by a registered sex offender) in the Keys,
I hope you and your family dive often and support the dive ops and other small businesses in the Keys. In this economy, every single customer/student makes an impact in this sport. Jeff, I hope to meet you next time you are down here. :)

And Netdoc, thanks again for your vote of confidence.

:focus:
Here are some wise Sticky threads regarding choosing an instructor which the OP may find helpful:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ng/287780-how-find-excellent-scuba-class.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne.../166469-what-consider-new-student-diving.html

Happy Diving!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on a dive in key largo a couple of months ago and there was an instructor from Grove Scuba named Cristina Arcila who was instructing a couple of kids who must have been around 12 or less maybe.

They seemed to absolutely love her and their father couldn't stop telling me how amazing she was with the kids. I've never talked to her myself or dealt with grove scuba, but the observation of her with the kids and the positive experience from the father left such an impact that I remembered the name of the shop and was able to look her up just now.

Although they are in Miami (coconut grove), they apparently can do their stuff in key largo. I'd call them up.

Thanks DaMaDo for sharing such a positive experience. Cristina sounds like an awesome instructor!

Thanks to you all for your response to my question. The kids have gotten thru chapter 1 and tried out masks and snorkles in the hot tub- they are as excited as we are. It looks like we have several good options to pursue so this is really just what we needed. Cant wait to get down to the keys
jim

Brenda is great, but she's not an instructor. PM Mselenaous for a WONDERFUL instructor who understands kids and will give them the attention they deserve and you want.

No my wife, the Admiral, is not an instructor but I am with PADI, SSI, and SDI. Among the 100's of kids we've certified, we also certified our two beautiful grand-daughters, 10 and 13, so I think we're pretty comfortable teaching and understanding kids.

We were also chosen by Coral Shores High School, who is working with the Coral Restoration Program, to provide diving instruction and excursions to their kids when going on field trips to the coral growth sites.

Quite often, if Elena is your instructor, you get the added bonus of a second instructor in the water with you. While I don't interfere with her classes, I do add some fun to the class where appropriate.
eyebrow.gif
It's great that you and Mselenaous, as a dating couple, can work together to help bring new divers to the sport. The Admiral is usually stuck in the shop attending to business, but does find time to dive when the grand kids come to town.

Good Diving,

Last edited:
I will +4 for Conch Republic. Just came back 2 weeks ago from an AOW course with my step-son. Jason was great and the entire crew was very personable. I got to watch a couple get their OW cert my last day of diving. They were thrilled and I noticed how patient and understanding Jason was with the couple.

It's great that you and Mselenaous, as a dating couple, can work together to help bring new divers to the sport.
It is great, especially with my move last week to Key Largo. I'll now be offering personalized dive instruction in the Keys for those who really want to have fun while learning. I will be adhering to these four principles:
  • Make it real.
  • Make it thorough.
  • Make it Environmentally Responsible.
  • Make it FUN!!!
Look for a full announcement in the next few weeks about how to get in on this!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom