Where to do Check Out Dive in Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhshrops

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My 2 kids 11 and 14 are completing PADi Jr Open water and we hope to do our check out dives in Key Largo in March. Seems all dive shops offer instruction. Im wondering if anyone has suggestions or experience with Dive Instructors with the Key Largo Dive Operators? Looking for that patient and safe set up that wont break the bank. Thanks:wink:

While there are lots of options, I would strongly recommend Conch Republic in Tavernier (about 9 miles South of Key Largo) CONCH REPUBLIC DIVERS " COME SEE WHY WE'RE NOT JUST ANOTHER DIVE SHOP"

Call and talk to Brenda and she will get you all set-up. One of the reasons that I am suggesting CR is that in addition to a great staff (including dive instructors), they operate 2 boats including a super stable 46' Newton that is well maintained. Nothing worse that having your kids feeling queasy before they hit the water.

you probably should post this thread in the regional section, florida conch divers. When my family and i go to key largo we use pirate island divers. Never had any issues diving with them.

Brenda is great, but she's not an instructor. PM Mselenaous for a WONDERFUL instructor who understands kids and will give them the attention they deserve and you want.

There are of course lots of choices of operations and instructors (and not so good ones - including one owned by a registered sex offender) in the Keys, butfor a family it is hard to beat CR when diving in the early spring.

Jason at their shop is great working with kids.

I just wanted to say that I have no affiliation with CR and depending on individual's Upper Keys dive objectives I also recommend Quiescence, Silent World and the HMS Minnow.

Each Op as its own strong points depending on what your are looking for.

Brenda is great, but she's not an instructor. PM Mselenaous for a WONDERFUL instructor who understands kids and will give them the attention they deserve and you want.

Each Op as its own strong points depending on what your are looking for.
I think that's my point. All the ops in Key Largo are great and everyone has their preferences. They'll all get you to the dive site and back with relative ease and safety.

But this is about KIDS getting certified. I'm sure that there are lots of qualified instructors in the Keys, but Elena is exceptional. If the dive op is important, than the instructor in the water with kids is ten times as important. You don't want to be just another client: you want someone who is patient, who cares and demands the very best. Elena does just that. She doesn't let people just slide by and you can be sure that no one is attentive to her students in the water as Elena.

Quite often, if Elena is your instructor, you get the added bonus of a second instructor in the water with you. While I don't interfere with her classes, I do add some fun to the class where appropriate. :eyebrow:

I just got back from the Keys day before yesterday. On my way to Key West I ran into the normal Key Largo traffic and got bored and stopped to check out a few of the shops. I found them all to be very friendly and patient, to the point I'd have no issue letting my daughter dive with any of them.

But, of the ones I visited, Conch Republic was probably the most patient and engaging. They definately made the best impression even after learning I worked where I do, didn't need to buy anything and was honestly just killing time. I didn't get the person's name that we chatted with, though. When I do return for some dives, it'll be with them first before I check anybody else out.

Netdoc, Thanks for all the kind words and compliments. Netdoc himself has certified many many kids through the Boy Scout programs, so he is very aware of the nuances in teaching styles needed when teaching children.

Jshsrops, I applaud you for doing your homework before booking a class for your children.

First a few general words about instructors in the Keys. There are many many of them and there are also four active local instructor academies sending out new grads of varying dive experience each month. With the glut of instructors & the number of dive ops, there is ALOT of turnover. Some ops tend to hire green instructors and the students are assigned to instructors on rotation or lottery. At some ops, you might even start your course with one instructor to finish with another. (Yes, I and others did cut our teeth this way). But, yes, there are many good experienced instructors here with fine reputations. You will want an instructor that has been actively teaching for several years, has a variety of dive experiences, and experience teaching in the Keys.

So I recommend that you call the shop(s) and interview the instructor that will be teaching your kids before you book the course. If the person who answers the phone can not eventually put you in touch with THE instructor (not just any instructor), ask to talk to the owner and explain your situation. If this is not possible, call the next shop on the list. You want to know how long he/she has been teaching, how long in the Keys and working for that dive op. You want to know that the instructor’s personality & skills & agency affiliations will mesh with your kids’ needs and that once you book, that he/she will still be there in a few months. Because instructors also get sick/have emergencies, you want some assurance from the shop owner that in case of instructor’s emergency, they will provide you with another instructor of equal or higher caliber. Only a few shops in the Keys have that depth in their instructor pool. (No pun intended)

Ask questions and search here on Scubaboard, then ask more questions.

As for pricing, the prices here may seem a bit higher than at home. But, rather than a big group class scheduled monthly at your LDS’s convenience, classes in the Keys are usually small private/semi-private and scheduled on demand. The going rate is around $265-275/each for two boat trips, includes rental gear & certification card.

Your other option is to hire a private instructor that you feel comfortable with and let them take care of all the arrangements through whichever dive ops they work well with.

I'm sure with you asking the right questions, you will find an awesome fun and safe instructor for your kids and you will all have an absolute blast here in the Keys.

Happy and Safe Diving!

I would 3rd Conch Republic. From personal experience, Dean H. is a fantastic instructor. I could go on and on as to why CRD is the right place, but I'll keep it simple. Their people are the best. There are plenty of dive shops in the upper keys, but CRD is where my son (age 13) and I choose to dive year after year. I trust Capt. Garry and his crew because of the professionalism I see each time I visit.

BTW, CRD is just a few minutes south of Largo, but you will more than make up that time due to CRD's proximity to the reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom