Where to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uspap

Contributor
Reaction score
I am going to Florida for the first time in January. My little Bro. has a place next to Disney and I will be there for a week. I want to do the Under the Sea thing at Epcot. How far is the Orinsky from there and the Manatees? Where should I dive and how far is it from where I am staying? I have been diving since 1981 in the cold Monterey California waters so I would like to think I am not a newbie. I have no clue as to Florida diving. What would you suggest?

The Mighty O is all the way up in Pensicola area...Its a haul but a great dive...The manatees are not that far..Were you looking to go to Crystal River or anothe specific spring? The gulf of mexico is also a choice. Right off the coast of St.Pete is some good diving..

I am going to Florida for the first time in January. My little Bro. has a place next to Disney and I will be there for a week. I want to do the Under the Sea thing at Epcot. How far is the Orinsky from there and the Manatees? Where should I dive and how far is it from where I am staying? I have been diving since 1981 in the cold Monterey California waters so I would like to think I am not a newbie. I have no clue as to Florida diving. What would you suggest?

I can define Florida diving in one word "options."

Here are a few questions that by answering them you'll help us help you:
1. Is this your first time to dive FL?
2. How long will it be until you expect to return?
3. How long will you be here?
4. How far do you want to drive once you're here to dive?
5. what type of diving do you want to do most? (wrecks, reefs, salt, fresh, warm, OW, cave, etc)

For what it's worth...

If I were going to be here once in a lifetime for 7 days or less I'd...
dive Disney (most expensive), dive the keys (6 hr drive), dive Crystal River, and dive a spring.

Probably 7-8 hours from Disney to P'cola - LOL.

Just a couple hours to Crystal River to dive(snorkel) with manatees.

Drive down to West Palm Beach or Jupiter for drift diving and big critters...

Cheers.

-J.-

Thanks for all of the responses. I've never been to Florida before. Since my little Bro. owns a place down there I may get back again unless the wife hates it. I am confirmed for Disney. That's one on the top of the list. The Manatee snorkle sounds cool. I will kind of be at the mercy of the rest of the crew since I'm the only diver. I realistically can't venture off more than an hour away. I know thats kind of limiting. A spring sounds pretty nice. I'm not cave certified so no caving for me. I didn't know the O was so far. That was #2 on the list. Maybe next time with the dive buddies.

Thanks for all of the responses.
I didn't know the O was so far. That was #2 on the list. Maybe next time with the dive buddies.

Ocean is only about 1 hr either way, right now Gulf is a little better than Atlantic (although if the wind changes from the west, that can change). Also diving out of Daytona is a coin toss this time of year.
also, most Manatee trips are open to snorkelers and boat riders so everyone can go:wink:

either way, I hope to get to dive with you while you are here...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom