Where to dive this weekend??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

webbah

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I got some new gear this past weekend at the UWS Divers Fair so now we're pumped to go dive! WE're Newbs with 20 logged dives each and haven't dove in cold water since we were certified in March of '06. Where should we go for a relatively easy laid back dive or two this weekend? Edmonds Underwater Park or somewhere else close? Thinking either Sat. or Sunday morning if anyone wants to show us around.

You'll probably get a lot of bites. I am up for a dive this weekend myself.

The easiest places to go are (IMHO) Cove 2 and Redondo. As long as the tide isn't very low the entry is easy, and you don't have to worry about currents at all. Navigation is pretty easy at both sites, especially Redondo.

EUP is cool but there are currents and I would advise going with someone who knows the site well. They can show you how to plan a trip, and show you around the site. (That person is not me, I am also pretty new and have only been to EUP once.)

What goodies did you get at the sale? I indulged myself... got a backup light (so I can night dive!), new gloves, mesh bag for crabbies, and a 119 cf tank. (Tank won't be here for a while though.)

I'll be testing out some new gear this weekend too. New reg, computer, and I hope my Zeagle Ranger arrives before thursday. I'll be in the Tacoma, Gig Harbor, Seattle area friday, saturday and sunday and would like someone to dive with. Anybody up for a day or night dive at Day Island Wall?

Never been to Day Island Wall... I read up on it, looks like you have to be really careful with the currents. Is there a good window this weekend?

Webbah, have you been talking to anyone else? I'm still game. If you are back in cold water for the first time in a long time, and with new gear, I would recommend Redondo.

What gear are you using for the first time?

I may now not be able to go - lots of plans for Seafair. Perhaps the following weekend? Sorry to get your hopes up.

My new gear consists of wetsuit (el cheapo 7mm), BC (Scubapro Knighthawk), computer (Uwatech Aladdin Prime), regulator (Scubapro MK16/G250)..so pretty much everything!

divethug:
I'll be testing out some new gear this weekend too. New reg, computer, and I hope my Zeagle Ranger arrives before thursday. I'll be in the Tacoma, Gig Harbor, Seattle area friday, saturday and sunday and would like someone to dive with. Anybody up for a day or night dive at Day Island Wall?
I wouldn't recommend Day Island Wall for those dates unless you're very familiar with the dive site, and know how to time your dive very well. Tidal exchanges are fair this week-end, but not that great ... and the Tacoma Narrows shouldn't be taken lightly. You'd be able to dive it, but your window of opportunity will be narrow, and if you mis-time it you could find yourself working much harder to get back to the dive site entrance than you'd want to.

Early afternoon on the 6th and 7th, and late afternoon/early evening on the 8th would be good times to plan a dive on Day Island Wall.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I wouldn't recommend Day Island Wall for those dates unless you're very familiar with the dive site, and know how to time your dive very well. Tidal exchanges are fair this week-end, but not that great ... and the Tacoma Narrows shouldn't be taken lightly. You'd be able to dive it, but your window of opportunity will be narrow, and if you mis-time it you could find yourself working much harder to get back to the dive site entrance than you'd want to.

Early afternoon on the 6th and 7th, and late afternoon/early evening on the 8th would be good times to plan a dive on Day Island Wall.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks. I have at least a dozen dives at day island, my favorite place in the sound. I understand that the current can be strong. I have always been there around slack and never had to fight the current, no matter what the date or exchange was. Coming from the east side I can't be too picky about which days are the best to dive.

Back
Top Bottom