Where to Dive Thailand in August 2010??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manta Man

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,
I'll be over in Thailand in August & while I know I can't do the Similian I would like to know where I can go diving. Koh Tao is already on the list but what about other sites e.g. Shark/Anemone reef, Hin Mouang, Hin Daeng. Any suggestions or advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers:D

Pattaya for some wrecks. Ideally, dive the Hardeep at slack tide. It was sunk 65 years ago yesterday during WWII. There are several other wrecks within recreational limits in the Pattaya area as well. Depending on how your are traveling you could fly from the airport near Pattaya to Samui and then make your way to Koh Tao. Pattaya is only 2 hours from BKK.

Hi There,

Diving in Phuket during August normally offers great visibility and some interesting marine sightings.

There is a good choice of dive sites for daytrips and also overnight trips which can keep you busy for good few days.

Talk to some dive shops after you arrive to find out about the best sites to visit.

Have a great trip!

Personally I would opt for Koh Tao or the islands around Phuket / krabi etc. It is not the best time of year for diving the Andaman sea but the diving can still be good, and weather permitting may even be able to get out to the Similans etc.
Pattaya can be dived all year round but personally if you are not planning to visit there for other reasons I would not waste my time making a special trip for the diving.

Similan Islands not possible in August. The National Park has made it very clear they will fine any operators going out of season. From Phuket there are day trips year round to Racha Yai, Racha Noi, Shark Point, King Cruiser Wreck and Phi Phi. Also overnight trips to Phi Phi. Weather can be less-than-ideal but can also be absolutely fine (see Phuket Weather: August 2009 for last Augusts Phuket weather reports).

Thx all for the advice. What about Koh Lanta? Any half decent diving down there. I have a month in Thailand, so I guess plenty of time to dive most places, including the wrecks. My wife is planning to do her Instructorship in Thailand this year too. Any advice on who or even who not to do it with?

Instructor training on Koh Tao is good since there are many students to practice on. ;-)

I did my IDC with Crystal and can recommend them - a good team. Also Buddha View has a couple of very good course directors.

Good luck & have a great trip.

Tom

Woops, missed that second part in his second post, thanks steven for pointing this out.

To Manta Man, August for IDC's would be the Gulf, Koh Tao or also Koh Samui might be worthwhile checking out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom