Where to dive on Oahu, Ko Olina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjames

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We're at the JW Marriott at Ko Olina through Saturday and want to do some diving. The hotel is telling us that Ocean Concepts is the only shop that picks up at the hotel, but they only run cattle boats (as many as 20 people on a boat, YUCK!). Can anyone recommend a shop close that runs smaller boats or six packs for Thursday and Friday? I've got my housing with me and want to take some pictures, so any dive site recommendations would be great as well.

Thanks,
Corby

Most shops offer shuttle service if you're staying in Waikiki - haven't heard of any others besides Ocean Concepts that will stop at Ko Olina on the way to Waianae.

Most of the operations that I'm aware of that launch out of Waianae are on the bigger boats, anyway. I did do a couple of dives once on a 6 pack out of Waianae, but that was privately arranged and I don't recall the name of the boat or its captain.

I've done many dives with Ocean Concepts over the years (not within the last year or so, though) and their boats can become relatively crowded (especially on weekends in the summer) - but they are very organized and efficient. There's none of the chaos that I've sometimes experienced with other boats carrying 15-17 divers.

If you don't have any other options (like renting your own car) you may want to try diving with them on a weekday.

If you have your own car, I'd just head over to Electric Beach (Kahe Point) for some shore dives - it's literally 5 minutes away. Or drive over to the North Shore for some shore dives. Keep an eye on the surf report though - the forecast said there's a little bit of a bump today on the north side (2-4 ft).

My husband and I just got back from Oahu and we were staying at Ko' Olina. We dove with ocean concepts. Unfortunatley I go a really bad reverse squeeze/headache with the first dive and was unable to do the second dive. However, I have to say they were awesome. Mel was our DM and he was great. Mike also onboard and was very concerned with my condition and they took me back to the dock, when they didn't have to do that. The boat was very organized and their safety breifing was great. I hate cattle boats and usually only dive on a six pack. I would however highly recommend ocean concepts. The Mahi shipwreck was awesome.

Glad I looked, thread dredged up from last year.

If that is the Mike I'm thinking about...you were in best hands :D Glad to hear you had a good time :wink:

I've dove with Mel now a few times - several times in 2005 and twice in 2006. I have to say he is one of the best!

Mel, if you are reading this - thanks! PM me if you get a chance.

If anyone is coming to Okinawa Japan, let me know. I dive here all of the time!

Eric Gray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom