Where to dive @ OBX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay, didn't mean to slight you guys, I haven't dove with you yet. Y'all were brand new last time I dove NC. I'm planning on looking you up next time I'm around.

AL

The Advance is a decent dive out of Nags Head that works fine for beginners. Most of the open water students in the area do their check out dives on it. If you go out with Outer Banks Diving in Nags Head, they can provide DMs as guides and it is real popular with new divers. Don't think of it so much as a babysitter, as rather someone who knows the wreck like the back of their hand making sure you don't miss anything. And there is the added bonus that they can help you out if you need it.

Avon is a little south of Nags Head, Outer Banks Dive Center in Hatteras would be closer, but I can highly recommend the crew up in Nags Head. Not that there is anything wrong with the guys down South, just I know that crew better.

There is also the option of doing a beach dive or 2. If conditions are good, its a piece of cake even for new people. For those, I really recommend going with a guide, whether you're experienced or not though. It's real fun, they tell you the story of how the ships sank and the historical repercusions from the tragedies. Again, the Nags Head guys can set you up with the guides.

When I said 10-15 degrees cooler I was meaning the Nags Head area, not Hatteras- the Advance, U-85, that stuff. Hatteras and Morehead have very similar conditions, 75 degree water, currents, and the lovely 2 hour boat rides. That was the other reason I was thinking he should go somewhere else for his first ocean dives-nothing like being sick as a dog, nervous, wishing the boat would quit moving, etc- hang on- thats me going in with the anchor, too. :D But seriously, I would really suggest either a lot more dives in OH, or some easier stuff in FL or even SC. NC, VA, MD, and NJ boats all run in similar conditions, waves, long rides, currents. I wasn't suggesting his running to Morehead on this trip, and, unlike the other boats, we do everything in our power to avoid the inshore wrecks- not that we don't like them, just, most people come to do blue water wreck diving. 'Course on that note, I have heard that the Indra had 70 ft of vis for 10 days straight- that also means everyone was going there for 10 days straight........
And as for you going out with us, we'd appreciate it, and I can assure you, we try to make everyone feel like a friend, after all, you are there to have fun, not "Diver number 17, your dive will be to 93 ft, lasting no more than 28 minutes total run time......"
On a totally different subject- is it true CF divers changed hands? And that they are going to replace their boat? And maybe have a policy where if they can't get you out, you get your money back?
-J

Thank you all for the advice! I'm thinking I'm going to contact both places in Nag's Head and Hatteras and see what they have available on the day(s) I'm looking to dive, let them know my lack of experience and see what they suggest. It was pretty amusing to hear about "colder water" in the Labrador current. The 3 dives I've done since my ow checkout dives had surface temps around 80 and were about 58-60 @ about 30 ft.

I'm planning on making a trip to fla. this winter to get some fresh and saltwater dives in also!

The 3 dives I've done since my ow checkout dives had surface temps around 80 and were about 58-60 @ about 30 ft.

Thank you for reminding me why I don't miss living and diving in OHIO!!!

My first trip down here I brought my drysuit with me, which was a good thing because we got blown out and ended up at a quarry. My next trip down was in July and I again brought a drysuit with me. Luckily when some of the guys saw me getting on the boat with a drysuit bag they said "darlin' you do know the water is about 76 degrees, you are gonna roast in that dry suit". I had a swim suit in my bag I had bought along for sun on the boat ride, so I ended up doing my first NC ocean dive in a swim suit and long sleeved shirt. Wouldn't say I was cold, but I use a wetsuit now :wink:

jay, yes, and i think there's a thread here on sb, and i know there are threads on ncdivers.com

matthew, i hope you have a great time! if the surf isn't bad, the triangle wrecks could be fun. i've only been on them in a washing machine, though, so i don't have much else to say except 'don't try when it's rough'! :D

looks like with the hanna coming in late this week, my chances of diving are probably going to be shot anyways...:mad:

MDS- that's the first part of diving in NC- being blown out. On any try I have made, I'd say there is a 1 in 5 of having at least one day ashore. Also, if you do get out on the Flying Fish, see if they can pair you with Milt. He's been doing it 28 years, good guy, very informative, and will show you around the wrecks. And say hi from the divemaster of the ex Gunsmoke, now Mutiny.
-J

looks like with the hanna coming in late this week, my chances of diving are probably going to be shot anyways...:mad:

As you will learn weather around here will change at any moment, but the 1 thing we never do is comment on it a week out, thats just bad karma.
I will be in Hatteras this weekend diving also, not with Johnny & Amy on the Flying Fish, but will be just across the dock on board the Under Pressure with JT.

I will be in Hatteras this weekend diving also, not with Johnny & Amy on the Flying Fish, but will be just across the dock on board the Under Pressure with JT.

:no: No you won't- dives are already canceled.

MDS- I'd recommend not diving. If JT is canceling this far out, even if you manage to find a boat that is going out it is going to be UGLY and not something someone with 7 dives under their belt should be out in.

If I were you coming from as far away as Ohio, I'd call your lodging arrangements and check what their policy for cancellation is due to Hurricanes. From the way it is looking Myrtle is going to be ground zero and out of commission for a while, Wilmington will likely be evacuated MHC isn't going to be a fun place to be, and Hatteras is going to un-vacation-like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom