Where to dive? - late Aug. rainy season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lifesabeach

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone...thanks in advance for your advice. I will be in the Philippines 15 days in late Aug. I have been to Puerto Garlera twice, Bohol twice and Pescador Island off Cebu once. Last year at this time I was in Sabang and a typhoon blew by to the north and made diving and passage to Batangas difficult for a couple of days, so I know that diving this time of year can be tricky. This year I will take a friend to Sabang for a week and then I'll have Thurs- Wed. free for some more diving on my own.

I'd like to go somewhere new. If I fly out of Manila Thursday afternoon I could dive Fri., Sat. Sun. take Monday off and fly to Manila on Tuesday - three good days of diving somewhere. Any advice on where I should go during the rainy season? For example, Apo Reef interests me but I guess in late Aug. the seas are too rough...

I'm an advanced diver with about 40 dives and am more interested in coral than big stuff, and not much interested in wrecks at all. I don't really want a long ride to the dive site from the airport due to the time constraints...prefer something to do at night...

I'm considering Apo Island of Dumagete and Borakay....any advice on these or other late summer options?

Thanks!

15 days is a lot of time. Dauin/Apo Island and Anilao are two places that come to mind. However, both places are sleepy compared puerto galera.

Boracay has a great night life scene, but I am unsure how you'll find the diving after having dived PG and Bohol.

If you're seriously worried about the weather, then you can head south to Davao and General Santos.

15 days is a lot of time. Dauin/Apo Island and Anilao are two places that come to mind. However, both places are sleepy compared puerto galera.

Boracay has a great night life scene, but I am unsure how you'll find the diving after having dived PG and Bohol.

If you're seriously worried about the weather, then you can head south to Davao and General Santos.
Many Thanks!.....I mention Boracay because when I do a search Google of best Philippine dive spots, Boracay often comes up - one top ten list has two sites in Boracay - Crocodile Island and Yapak 2....a Boracay based operator I suppose....In this forum Boracay does not get much mention...to Boracay or not to Boracay?...I'd like to hear some first hand experience and comparisons.....

Dumaguete fullfils most of "am more interested in coral than big stuff, and not much interested in wrecks at all. I don't really want a long ride to the dive site from the airport due to the time constraints...prefer something to do at night..."

Diving is close by and excellent in terms of coral and critters.

You just have to go to the city at night if you really want some action...totally doable though if you have the motivation.

Boracay is over-developed and over-run, but Aug is out of season also more resonable prices and not so crowded. Most of the diving will be on the eastern side of the island because the wind this time of the year is the south west monsoon season. Croc Island is on the east. Its okay if you only have few days because its easy and quick to get there and back from Manila, but diving-wise I found it poor in comparison with PG.

If you have the time, why not head down further south where the weather is less typhoon prone (so I am led to believe) like http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph.../271180-pristine-reefs-southern-mindanao.html

Rule of thumb for weather in the philippines during rainy season -----

look outside!

.................it is hit or miss

Hi I agree with Chip, go far south, like Sipadan (joke).
I love Dumaguete and South Leyte, even with typhoon.
even enjoy the surge (you should try it).

Boracay is not a dive haven and will never be.

Still in my wish list, Davao and Saranggani, I heard the artificial reef r great.

We will also have our dive safari on August 20 - 25, 2009 in Apo Island, Siquijor and Balicasag... if the weather permits. Good thing about the area, you may also dive Dumaguete and Sumilon just in case. Lots of choices!

Gi

Back
Top Bottom