Where to dive in Texas???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got4boyz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, as I've been reading the posts in this section it seems there are several places people dive in Texas, but I've only heard of the Flower Gardens and Possum Kingdom. I've never been to any of them.

So I'd like y'all to tell me where you dive in Texas, where it's at, how much it costs, etc. I only dive once a year in February when my husband and I go to Cozumel for our anniversary.

Thanks for any info you can give me, I really need to dive more! :)

The prices on texasdiver really aren't too far off (suprisingly :wink: ). Whereabouts in SE TX do you live? If we know the nearest large city, its easy to tell ya the best spots :wink:

jeff

I live in the Orange/Beaumont area, but I'm willing to travel! :)

Of course the ones closer would be better. :)

There are several of us here from the Beaumont area (Nederland here.) There are a few places nearby (100 miles) to dive - the one that I have been diving at the most is Twin Lakes, just south of Houston. There is, of course, the local mudhole in Vidor (Smith Lake) and Blue Lagoon (Huntsville.) The Houston Swampsters usually meet at Twin Lakes on Wednesday at around 4:30pm, and on Saturday at around 10:00am.

Nice to have you aboard! There are currently 3 others from the Beaumont area on the board that I am aware of. ChrisPete, TxDeepDiver and myself.

I personally tend to dive anywhere I can (and maybe once somewhere I shouldnt). Smith lake is one of the most common places for me to go because it is the most readily accessible. As Chris said, TL is also a nice place to go, and a lot closer than going to Blue Lagoon.

Speaking of Smith lake, I'm supposed to be meetin Chris there right about now... Gotta run!

got4boyz once bubbled...
OK, as I've been reading the posts in this section it seems there are several places people dive in Texas, but I've only heard of the Flower Gardens and Possum Kingdom. I've never been to any of them.

So I'd like y'all to tell me where you dive in Texas, where it's at, how much it costs, etc. I only dive once a year in February when my husband and I go to Cozumel for our anniversary.

Thanks for any info you can give me, I really need to dive more! :)

You're always welcome to join us at Twin Lakes in Manvel. Pretty cool for a fresh water quarry/pond. Viz is usually in the 10-15ft range but can go better or worse depending on the crowd of students or the weather. Either way, it's close and it's wet!

If you want some good salt water diving, you might think about Panama City, Florida. I just returned from there tonight. From Beaumont, it's only about an 8 hour drive...just close enough for a weekend trip. A 2 tank boat trip runs between $50-60, depending on the operator. We dived a couple of wrecks, and some bridge structures.

If you want more details, let me know.

I purchase the Florida book you showed me a few weeks ago and found it to be very interesting. I think Houstdiver and myself are going to make a road trip sometime. Thanks for the advice.

swampthing

Hi Chris and John!

Thanks for the info. So how was you dive at Smith Lake???? You know, I did my cert dives at Smith Lake almost 3 years ago. It was February, and very cold, and I couldn't see anything! LOL I've never thought to go back! I guess I got spoiled by my 3 trips to Cozumel.

But heck, it's a close place to dive (I live in Mauriceville :) ).

Does a group generally go diving at Twin Lakes on Saturdays? I couldn't go on Wednesdays, but Saturdays would work. If they don't meet every Saturday then I'd like to know when.

Dee, thanks for the info on Florida. That sounds great. I'd like more details. It's a long weekend, maybe I could take off this weekend.

Anyway thanks all for the info and I'd love to meet and go dive with ya'll.

Well, Smith Lake in the summer is very warm, and you still can't see anything :wink: There's a group at Twin Lakes pretty much every single Saturday usually starting at around 10am and sometimes going as late as 10pm for night diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom