Where to dive in Texas???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are usually some of us out at T.L. on Sat.I`m there every Sat as I try to give the owner a hand in the a.m. time getting people checked in.Just come on out and if no one else is there from our group, I`d be more than happy to give you a tour!Just look for the guy in an old white dodge pickup with so many dive stickers in the back glass ...that it looks more like an advertisment.

Glad ya`ll made it back Dee.Did Beast quinch his thirst for saltwater for awhile?:) See ya`ll soon!

chrispete, even though Smith Lake is close and warm this time of year, I think I'd rather drive a couple hours to where I can see! LOL I definitely need to get to Twin Lakes soon!

I'll be looking for you T.P.H. so you can introduce me to others or give me a tour. I'll let you know when I can come. Hopefully this weekend we'll go to Florida (need to hear back from Dee) if not I'll let you know and try and make it out there this Saturday.

What's the water temp so I'll know what to wear?

Thanks!

Any rig dive is nice....

plus, the Rigs to Reefs program is going along nicely. Most dive shops can provide you with charters to these sites. NOAA can provide provide private boaters with Lat/Lon coordinates.

Inland dives....

Lake Travis... 20-100'+Wrecks, submerged forest, lots of neat stuff....(almost anywhere is nice when the water is clear). Also great for nekkid co-ed watching, not that I do that....

Canyon Lake...20-100'+...about the same as Travis. Fewer nekkid co-eds.

Toledo Bend 10-70'+ (tannic acid in water, so it's spooky deep. But the water can be relatively clear, if dark below 40'). Submerged bridges and roads. No nekkid co-eds. Some nekkid Coonasses, but that might be too much information....

San Marcos River...3'-20'. very shallow, but very clear drift dive. You can see the rare, endangered San Marcos Prawn, which travels to the gulf for breeding. There are lots of Koi and such dumped by residents........drunk nekkid co-eds (and their drunken boyfriends) often drop watches, Varnet sungless and money as they flip over the falls in their inner tubes, so Sunday evenings are often a great time to "treasure hunt".

Comal River...3'-30'. Same as the San Marcos. Just don't "winter dive it after a flood" like I did....the chutes (spillways) are an E Ticket ride, but pretty scary to do headfirst in SCUBA. Plus, if you miss the last ladder out of the river, you end up in the Guadaloupe River, which is NOT fun during flood stage (I still have scars). I would mention the nekkid coeds, but you guys might think I was obsessing......I'll stop here and simply note that nekkid coeds are a common summer occurence at inland Texas dive sites.

Blue Lagoon. 10-25'. Some funny shrimp, very alkaline water, so no fish. A couple of wrecks and some platforms. A good place to practice and collect dive gear off the bottom (which I return, if I can find the owner, btw.). Notice I mentioned no nekkidness.

Twin Lakes? I haven't been there, but plan to soon. Are there any nekkid coeds there?

oh, and I haven't been to Balmorrhea, the Silos, Jacobs well or Aquarena (sp?) Springs, but I hear they are great. (Excepting Balmorrhea, these require special permission or training.).

Any other spots?

got4boyz once bubbled...
....Dee, thanks for the info on Florida. That sounds great. I'd like more details. It's a long weekend, maybe I could take off this weekend.

Anyway thanks all for the info and I'd love to meet and go dive with ya'll.

We were diving on The Splash. You can contact them through Diver's Den in Panama City Beach....
Divers Den
3120 Thomas Drive
(850) 234-8717

If you drive, you can take your own tanks...you'll need two per trip. Or you can rent them at the dive shop. Nitrox is available.

We stayed with friends so I don't have any hotel/motel info but I found these on Google......http://panama-city-beach-fla.com/motels.htm. I know nothing about any of them other than the rates change with the tourist season.

Thanks for the info Rockhound. Now I need to find time to go diving. I'll have to contact you for further details when I do. Sounds like some interesting places, many which weren't listed on the website! And the website certainly didn't mention any nekkedness! LOL

Dee, thanks for the phone number. We almost decided to go this weekend, but we have a motorhome (so I didn't need the motel info, but thanks anyway) and all the parks are filled this weekend.

The kids are out of school again on October 7th so we decided to go then. We will be camping right at St. Andrews State Park. Already made the reservations for the 4th and 5th since they go fast.

Thanks for telling me about diving at Panama City, I'm really excited about having someplace somewhat close to go to! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom