Where to dive... in September?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We think with out a doubt that if you want to see some of the best diving in the world with the most Bio Diversity then you have to go to Indonesia at some point to dive either Raja Ampat, Komodo or Derawan. Actually anywhere in between those are great also!!
The other area you should consider is PNG ,Kimbe Bay and Maline Bay are incredible.
We have group trips going to both in 2011 if you are interested, feel free to ask us any questions and look at our website below.

Admittedly I just went to Tonga, last year. My partner feels that it really is far to go when you just have two weeks... (i am still trying to convince him though :) )

Having just been in Tonga last Sep - I would really be pushing for a return trip. I'm not sure how far that is for you, but for us it was 5 hours to LA then 11 hours to Tonga. I would do it in a heartbeat even if I only had 10 days. That is prime humpback season too!

Hi,

I as well can recommend Indonesia in general and Alor as a hidden jewel amongst the dive areas in Indonesia.
You'll see plenty of critters and usually lots of big fish ;-)

About dive-schools there: I suggest ALOR DIVE (alor-dive.com) as they have the best boat and are the only dive-school on Alor itself.

Good things about Alor:
- no tourists
- therefore no (or at least only a handful of) other divers
- marine life is still intact with huge coral gardens, critters, big-fish
- cheap living on Alor

Bad things about Alor:
- some dive sites can have strong currents (but that's in many parts of Indonesia), therefore only good for experienced divers
- it's still very remote and has no luxurious hotels/restaurants and no night life. So expect basic acommodation and restaurants.
- you might have to calculate one night in Kupang on the way from e.g. Bali to Alor and one night on the way back

HTH,

Andy

P.S.: Excuse my still improvable english ;-)

I'm headed for my first Indonesia trip next month, so can only recommend it based upon the research I've done. On the other hand, as your requirements were no place where you CAN'T shore dive (meaning yes to shore diving) Bonaire would be a good choice. September is high season for the Caribbean but the ABC islands are outside the *typical* hurricane areas.

I second or third Bonaire! September is very nice and lots of little critters and big fish is you know where to look!

Do be mindful Bonaire (which I love) is NOT known for 'decent beaches.' Curacao is nearby, larger, somewhat similar in that you can shore dive, and I don't know what their beaches look like.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom