Where to dive in May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking at getting a group together to start the diving season. Perhaps you can give me some suggestions.

How about diving some wrecks on Lake Erie? What is the temperature like in May? Can anyone recommend and dive ops or charters?

Osprey start their season on April 8th I believe. Water will be quite chilly but do-able. Have a look at http://www.osprey-dive.com

Daner:
I'm looking at getting a group together to start the diving season. Perhaps you can give me some suggestions.

How about diving some wrecks on Lake Erie? What is the temperature like in May? Can anyone recommend and dive ops or charters?

It'll be quite cold everywhere, especially early May. If you listed your location, it'd be easier to give advice. Personally I love Kingston. The moorings usually go in mid May and charters start by the long weekend.

We dove out of Cleveland, OH with Discovery Dive Charters May 21 and 22 last year. We loved the operation, they provided drinks, hot soup and sandwiches on the all day trips. Unfortunately the vis was horrible. We did the "Dundee", "Admiral", "Cleveco" and "Queen of the West" and visibility ranged from 3-10 feet. My AOW students had a 4 foot buddy line and said they couldn't see each other most of the time. Captain told us the best visibility for that area is August-October and had warned us when we booked that May wasn't the best time of year for visibility there. We still had a good time but if you don't enjoy looking VERY closely at wrecks you probably want to wait a little later in the season.

I have water temp recorded as 47 degrees.
Ber :lilbunny:

I am in Barrie, Ontario. I'll try the Osprey website and see.

I am looking to make a camping weekend out of it so a couple hours travel time is fine.

I'm in the Barrie area. Where abouts do you like to dive and what kind of diving do do do?

I have typically dove out Brockville way on the May long weekend. Water temperatures the past couple of years have risen into the 50s by this time, which is more than comfortable, especially in a drysuit.

You might consider heading north to Parry Sound. The shipwrecks aren't nearly as intact as some in Kingston and other places(See my profile for pics of some of the wrecks), but the vis in Georgian Bay is generally pretty good in the cooler water temps (and wont be as cols as some of the larger water bodies).

The dive op is http://www.diversnook.comtalk to Tony, I think he starts again in May.

Let me know if you're going to use him, and I'll join in also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom