Where to dive in late March for must-see PI experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you dive every day of the year you may, if you are lucky, see a whale shark a couple times in this way. But the chances of this happening to someone on a 1 or 2 week holiday are remote. So, for practical purposes, if you want to look for whale sharks in Southern Leyte you need to go to the recognised whale shark sanctuary, pay for guides and spotters, and snorkel.
I'm certain that you and I are talking about two different things, but perhaps only two sides of the same coin--you're talking about guaranteed sightings, and I'm talking about potential sightings. However, I'm pretty sure you're still overstating your case about the paucity of chances of seeing sharks during a dive. There are respectable operators who offer a different perspective from yours and who are actually on site to know the chances (as opposed to being in Singapore or Thailand as you and I are). My posts are based on the OP's statement that he's not as interested in snorkeling with the giants as he is with seeing them on scuba, and while I realize that with the snorkel-based whale-shark watching tours there is a practically guaranteed chance of seeing them, the touristy-guaranteed-sighting (like going to a zoo) isn't what I'm discussing--what I'm saying is that it's possible do to a whale shark dive out of Padre Burgos on scuba and that there's a reasonable chance of seeing the animals, though it's not guaranteed as it is with the 'zoo tour' and it may depend on whether the operator offers such dives. Here are some quotes from local operators:
[For whale shark sightings] the coral slopes of San Ricardo and the small area of Sunok Bay are frequently visited, while Limasawa island has recently seen the most whaleshark activity with many seen in the bay at one time. Typically only snorkeling is permitted, however several whale sharks are also seen during the dives.
No diving with scuba tank allowed in this interaction. One dive close to the area is included in this package but if customers will not able to see the whale sharks we will give them another one dive.
Only snorkeling is allowed in whale shark designated aeras. The scuba dives will take place in non whale shark designated aeras. Nevertheless, there is always a good chance to encounter them, while you execute these dives.
Sunok is one of our more established dive sites but has become very popular with whale sharks between early November until May. Last season we had 100% success rate diving with the whale shark hopefully it will be the same this season.
We do daily whale shark trips for 3500 peso per diver during the season from November through until April.
Wannadive64, I've got no horse in this race, so I'm not in the least invested. But both the OP and ocdiver1 have expressed an interest in finding out what's possible. All I am doing is giving them some information they can base their inquiries on, so because you've made the hope-killing statements that the only way to have a whale shark interaction in Southern Leyte is while snorkeling and that there's only the most remote chance of seeing the animals on scuba (a couple of times during a whole year of diving every single day), I felt a more balanced response was merited.

I know this area and all the operators very well. Anything is possible, and 2 years ago whale sharks congregated at Limasawa Island for a couple of months and for a period of about 1 week in May last year there was 1 whale shark seen regularly at Limasawa. There have also been times when whale sharks have been seen by divers during July and August. Your last 2 quotes refer to snorkeling with whale sharks, with tour and the price including a regular dive. The 2nd quote means that if you don't see a whale shark while snorkeling you can do 2 regular dives. The 1st quote could mean anything (5 a year is several!) and the 3rd quote is pure exaggeration.

It matters not personally to me either, but it would be completely misleading to give people planning a trip in advance the impression that they have anything other than the remotest chance of seeing a whale shark while scuba diving (legally) in Sogod Bay.

@Quero/Wannadive...thanks for the input guys, although I would like to dive with them for a 'better' chance of getting a wider shot of them, snorkelling with them is perfectly fine with me. I would rather snorkel with an excellent chance of seeing them than dive with a slim chance. With a few options tho, it's good to know what the differences are, like big crowds, vis, etc at these diff places so I can decide which place would have a better experience of seeing/photographing them. Thanks to you both.

Re: 3 places to go..Sorry, I may have expressed myself poorly. I meant to say I will definitely go to Malapascua (prob 4 days of diving), then go to either Dauin or Bohol or
Padre Burgos (3 days of diving), then do the WS in either Oslob or Sogod. I guess what I was asking was two fold. What would be the best way to travel between these places and, if you had to recommend one, which of those 3 choices (D,B, PB) would offer the best of what I'm looking for in must-see diving. From what you've all said, it looks like I should fly into Cebu, go up to Malapascua, then back down to one of those 3 options, then ferry across to Sogod Bay for WS then fly out? 7-10 days is just rough, it could be 12 days or more. These things take time to work out the cost and logistics.

@Ocdiver...thanks mate, I hope you get to see everything you want! As you're there now, I think your experiences will be most helpful to my trip in March so I really appreciate your input. I think I've narrowed my choices down a bit now, it's always so hard to choose between equally amazing places.

Thanks again everyone!

@Quero/Wannadive...thanks for the input guys, although I would like to dive with them for a 'better' chance of getting a wider shot of them, snorkelling with them is perfectly fine with me. I would rather snorkel with an excellent chance of seeing them than dive with a slim chance. With a few options tho, it's good to know what the differences are, like big crowds, vis, etc at these diff places so I can decide which place would have a better experience of seeing/photographing them. Thanks to you both.
My pleasure, outpost31. Given your clarification of your preferences, I think you'll be happier at Padre Burgos/Sogod (same place) than at Oslob or at Donsol for the whale sharks. At Oslob they feed the sharks to keep them around and it sometimes gets really, really crowded with tourists. There is a great deal of controversy about that place, and I won't go there, but of course it's your choice so at least it's something for you to be aware of. At Donsol you snorkel only, but the water is pretty murky, so for photography--getting those wide angle shots--it may not be ideal for you. At Sogod the water is clearer, so even if you snorkel, you have a great chance of getting some good shots. Personally, some of my best encounters with big fish like mantas and whale sharks have been while snorkeling. You get a lot more light near the surface, and you can repeatedly get picked up by the dinghy and dropped in front of the animals so that you see them approaching. With clear water this is really nice. I think you'd enjoy Sogod.

Re: 3 places to go..Sorry, I may have expressed myself poorly. I meant to say I will definitely go to Malapascua (prob 4 days of diving), then go to either Dauin or Bohol or Padre Burgos (3 days of diving), then do the WS in either Oslob or Sogod. I guess what I was asking was two fold. What would be the best way to travel between these places and, if you had to recommend one, which of those 3 choices (D,B, PB) would offer the best of what I'm looking for in must-see diving. From what you've all said, it looks like I should fly into Cebu, go up to Malapascua, then back down to one of those 3 options, then ferry across to Sogod Bay for WS then fly out? 7-10 days is just rough, it could be 12 days or more. These things take time to work out the cost and logistics.

Therefore, I think what you want to do is
• Fly into Cebu
• Dive a few days at Malapascua
• Dive at Dauin/Dumaguete if you have time (if you're doing a two-week trip, but skip it if you're doing a 10-day trip)
• Head over to Padre Burgos/Sogod for more reef diving and the whalesharks

Keep in mind that you will spend a day getting from Malapascua to Padre Burgos. From Cebu you can take ferries:
Cebu to Maasin (closer to PB so a shorter bus/jeepny/ride): Cokaliong - Shipping Lines
Cebu to Ormoc (further from PB so a longer bus/jeepny/ride): SuperCat - SuperFerry Travel and Leisure - Schedules

A useful website for ferry schedules is: Schedule.ph

Last edited:
Cheers Quero, I think I am settled on Sogod. I don't like big zoo crowds as tourists at these feedings can get a bit over-excited around the animals and I prefer to watch them in a more 'natural' way and the feeding is a controversial issue. When I cage dived with Great Whites, I purposely chose a company that didn't chum and I was much happier with that decision.

Cheers Quero, I think I am settled on Sogod. I don't like big zoo crowds as tourists at these feedings can get a bit over-excited around the animals and I prefer to watch them in a more 'natural' way and the feeding is a controversial issue. When I cage dived with Great Whites, I purposely chose a company that didn't chum and I was much happier with that decision.
I'm 100% with you on that preference. I've edited my post to give you some information that might help you with logistics.

Thanks Quero, working out the logistics of such a huge place like PI can seem a bit overwhelming sometimes so thanks for the info, it will certainly help with my planning/budgeting. :)

---------- Post added February 7th, 2013 at 03:39 PM ----------

I've just been reading a few posts and came across one suggesting you could go to Oslob and just swim out/or hire a local small 'boat' and snorkel with them instead of being part of a large trip for a limited time.

Has anyone done this or have any views on it please?
Thanks

This may be possible, yes. I have a small comparison that I got from somewhere about the cost of whale shark interactions in Leyte that you might be interested in looking at. Here's a screen grab:

Screen Shot 2013-02-07 at 10.48.19 PM.jpg

Don't get confused about the numbers, though. The author was trying to make a point about the profit to the local municipality per visitor, not the cost per tourist.

I'm interested in this bc I want to spend maximum time with the WS and not be part of the crowds. I don't mind paying a bit more and helping out the locals. It seems like an interesting option but I didn't know if the dive boats frown on it or will ask you to leave?

I'm interested in this bc I want to spend maximum time with the WS and not be part of the crowds. I don't mind paying a bit more and helping out the locals. It seems like an interesting option but I didn't know if the dive boats frown on it or will ask you to leave?

It's my understanding that the diveboats are all just paying customers like you will be. So if anyone is asking you to get out of the water it would be the local bantay dagat who are responsible for the control of the divers/snorkellers in the shark "area".

Originally there were so many people going there that they simply had to limit numbers and the time you could spend in the water. However when I went we would have had no problem staying as long as we wanted because there were only 2 others in the water and the locals have no problem with you hanging out - oi guess they figure if you're happy you might tip more :)

So in short it will depend on when you go, how many people are there and how good a relationship you can strike up with whoever is in charge at the time.

Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom