Where To Dive In Hawaii In Jan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you go to Maui, the least expensive places to stay will likely be down in the Kihei area. Check into B&B Scuba for a boat charter, IMO they'll be your best choice for a newbie diver or DSD diver. Ed Robinsons doesn't do DSD and I wouldn't recommend anything but their regular 2-tank charter for a new diver, the 3-tank and Adventure charters will simply be too advanced.

In the Lahaina area, Lahaina Divers does an excellent job with DSD or beginning divers, though a more experienced diver might find them to do a bit more "babysitting" than you're used to.

For me, Scuba Shack would be the last choice for a dive operator on the island....even behind Maui Dive Shop. That's just my personal opinion and it's 100% based on the rants and bad reputation the owner has. Other people may have different feelings, but I won't recommend them to anyone.

As to whales, Maui is a great choice since the whales congregate in the channel between Lanai, Maui, and Molokai. You're guaranteed to have MANY surface whale sightings, from shore and if you're on the water. You'll also be nearly guaranteed to hear the songs underwater while diving, and if you're really lucky (like we've been), you'll see one underwater during a dive!! I love going to Maui during whale season, it's always a magical time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom