Where to dive in Bali and who with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outpost31

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of diving in Bali at the end of march/beginning of april for the first time and I need suggestions on how to make the most of my trip:

Single diver, want to get the most dives in 1-2 weeks, want to see big stuff like mantas, cuttlefish and small nudis for photos, flying in from Brisbane, should I use dive resorts or liveaboard for most/cheap dives, and I have a meager budget of about £1300/US$2000 for flights, diving and accom.

Can anyone suggest the MUST SEE dive sites/areas, who to dive with and if you know of any companies offering the best deals?

Many thanks for your help!

There is a LOT of information on the board about Bali. Search is your friend. Quickie comments are:

1. The north coast has excellent diving (Tulamben, Seraya, etc), and it can be very inexpensive. The Liberty wreck certainly is one of the signature dives in Bali, and it is a fine dive. Check out Tulamben Wreck Divers. It's better to stay in the area than to take the all-day trips from Denpasar.

2. Lots of diving off the east coast, as well, from Padang Bai. Trips to Nusa Penida and Nusa Lembongan islands can be more expensive, whether from Denpasar/Sanur or from Padang Bai.

3. A number of Bali dive ops offer "dive tours" to hit several spots.

You are going to have a great time!

Valwood1 gave some good advice. Stay in padang bai for mantas (manta point), and for the best sites for cuttlefish (blue lagoon/padang bai area) and Nudies (biaha / jepun).

I'd do a week in padang bai and a week in Tulamben. If you do your research you should have no problem with your budget. I cover some more dive sites on my bali page.

There's quite a few inexpensive dive shops in each location - paradise, bali coral, tulamben wreck divers in tulamben. Waterworks, absolute scuba, gecko divers in padang bai.

I dove with Absolute, and thought they were very professional. I also heard good things about Gecko. Besides that, I agree with what everyone else is saying. Check out "dive-the-world" and http://www.asiadivesite.com/ to figure out the sites that you'll enjoy the most. You'll love Bali.

Manta Point on Nusa Penida is a must do dive! Some ripping drift dives in Nusa Lembongan easily accessed from Padang Bai as mentioned. Watch out for local operators in Bali - I had the most inept and dangerous day with one once which culminated in the boat being grounded on boulders with me at the wheel trying to prevent it. But thats another story!

If you want bigger stuff stick to the South. Staying at and diving out of Padang Bai is one of the cheaper options. We hired a car and stayed near there, then went to Amed (and dived the Liberty wreck - which is excellent), then went to Menjangan. Should be able to fit that in if you have more than a week, but car hire pushes up price. If I was trying to keep costs down I'd cut out Menjangan (the diving is good there but nothing special), stay at Padang Bai and buy a day trip to the Liberty. Padang Bai is a very laid back no frills kind of place. Not the prettiest place in Bali by any means but I reckon that if you were concentrating on diving it would make a good base.

Thanks for the help guys!

After a lot of research, emailing and quotes from very helpful operators (AquaMarine, Waterworx, BaliDivingAcademy, AbsoluteScuba) I think I've decided on an itinerary:

Stay @ Tulamben
2 days Diving @ Tulamben (including Liberty)
1 day diving @ Amed
Transfer to Padang Bai
1 day diving @ Blue Lagoon
1 day diving @ Tepekong
1 day diving @ Biaha
1 day diving @ Manta Point + Bat Cave

What do you think? Add or take away any? I'll be using my last day for snorkelling, which would be a better place to just jump in and take photos...Padang Bai or Tulamben?

As for Accomm, I'm looking at Zen Inn in PadangBai and possibly Tulamben Wreck Divers? Anyone stayed at these places or can recommend somewhere else they've stayed in recently?

Any other need to know info would be much appreciated
Many thanks!

Last edited:
Quite a long way to go for 7 days but should be v good. Just looked at Tripadvisor reviews of Zen Inn to see if it was where I went. It's not but it sounds like the business. Have a great time.

Actually just realised you are flying in from Oz, so a week is fine.

Back
Top Bottom