Where to dive in Bali and who with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indeed, but Padang bai is not Kuta.
Some people incl. myself hate Kuta but many people love Kuta; breathing polluted air, walking between jammed cars.

Lizzy,
you're not crazy... just same as other thousands tourist
there was a time when I love Kuta too .. 22 years ago, I did not diving at that time though.

I can't stand Kuta either!
Im just not into that scene anymore.
I also find its cheaper to dive from other locations, and (in my experience) the clientele are a little more serious about diving.

I went with Bali Scuba based in Sanur last May (they had a promotion on Scubaboard) and was happy with the service.

Too many middle aged Aussie yobbos in Kuta, avoid like plague. Had a great time based the in isolee of Lembongan island, that's what Bali was 20 years ago.

Aquamarine for the day trips, World Diving Lembongan for dives around Penida and Lembongan.
Have heard good reports about Absolute Scuba, next time I'll be dropping by Padang Bai en route to TWD Tulamben

I am in Padang Bai right now.

I came from Kuta and Padang Bai is much different. Very quiet and small. Internet is more expensive and food is slightly more expensive but accommodation is cheaper in Padang Bai. There are some nice places here and I was pleasantly surprised. I feel like I stayed in Kuta for too long but then again I had to make some financial arrangements while there so I had no choice. Kuta is a good experience and I assume you (or most) will fly into Denpasar anyway which is very close to Kuta. So you could stay there a day and night to check it out before you head to Padang Bai.

A side note: I paid 75,000 IDR for a shuttle to Padang Bai from Kuta. It was supposed to have AC but did not. Once I got to Padang Bai, all the signs for a shuttle to Kuta say 45,000 IDR. So if you do take a transfer shuttle instead of a Bemo or private transport to Padang Bai, make sure you haggle him down to at least 60,000 if you can't get 45,000. Don't let them tell you "it's all the same boss" or "special price for you" or any other BS like that. Kuta is full of hawkers and people wanting to sell you stuff. Just smile, walk away and tell them you will get it elsewhere. They are quite adept at scamming and getting maximum dollars from people. It can actually be quite annoying but it is something you have to deal with everywhere, not just Kuta.

I went to all the diveshops along the street in Padang Bai. I got the best and friendliest info from Water Worx and Gecko Dive. I haven't used either yet but I booked a trip to Manta Point tomorrow with Gecko. I will try to post a report afterward. I was not impressed with Absolute or their desk staff. The woman's English was not very good and she was not very helpful. Q-dive never seems to be open or easily accessible. There was another shop up the road and I forgot the name. They were very helpful and professional but more expensive. They charge in Euros. But I have no doubt they would provide good service. There is also a sketchy shop called Bloo lagoon divers or something like that. I didn't get a good vibe from them at all.

A word to the wise. There is (was) only 1 ATM in Padang Bai. At the moment it is broken and there is not another for some distance. I know because I rented a motorbike and had to find it yesterday after so trouble and searching. Bring enough cash to convert from Kuta or home. Or you could get Rupiahs somewhere before you come. The Gilis don't have and ATM either as far as I've been told so if you are going there after then definitely bring plenty.

A side note: I paid 75,000 IDR for a shuttle to Padang Bai from Kuta. It was supposed to have AC but did not. Once I got to Padang Bai, all the signs for a shuttle to Kuta say 45,000 IDR. So if you do take a transfer shuttle instead of a Bemo or private transport to Padang Bai, make sure you haggle him down to at least 60,000 if you can't get 45,000. Don't let them tell you "it's all the same boss" or "special price for you" or any other BS like that. Kuta is full of hawkers and people wanting to sell you stuff. Just smile, walk away and tell them you will get it elsewhere. They are quite adept at scamming and getting maximum dollars from people. It can actually be quite annoying but it is something you have to deal with everywhere, not just Kuta.

For shuttles anywhere its best to go to with Perama tours - theyre a legit company who run cheap and reliable transit all over the island. They have a shop on Jalan Legian, right downtown....

Thats the worst part about Kuta though, is the endless hawking/pushing. Ive been to many countries before, and i have NEVER seen anything even remotely as bad as it is there. It gets 100X worse if youre a single man. The first time I went to Bali I was by myself diving, even the Indonesian divemasters were trying to hook me up with drugs or prostitutes- no joke.

I am in Padang Bai right now.
I was not impressed with Absolute or their desk staff. The woman's English was not very good and she was not very helpful.

I would like to apologise if you received information from our front desk that was not up to standard. Usually, they will find a member of the dive crew to speak to guests regarding diving. Hope your dive at Manta is great,maybe see you again :cool2:

Hi,

Thank you for all your help. I'm now all booked:

1 days diving@Amed
3.5 days diving@Tulamben (Incl Liberty) all with Tulamben Wreck Divers
Then to PadangBai staying with Zen Inn
3 dives@Blue Lagoon
3 dives@Tepekong
3 dives@Biaha
3 dives@Manta Point all with Absolute Scuba

Also, when I looked at my previous post I realized I forget to thank Tony at TWD for all his help in booking my trip, cheers Tony! And thanks to Scottfiji, his page has a lot of great info and some fantastic photos, if you're planning on going to Bali check it out!
Cheers Everyone!!!

Tony and Wayan run a great dive op, you'll enjoy your stay and your diving w/ TWD. Serya is very near by, they can arrange a quick ride over there (10 minutes?) if you like muck diving. We had Eri as our dive guide in December. You might ask if he is available; very knowledgeble, friendly and helpful. Oh and across the street is Wayans Restaurant. Not everyone knows they have an upstairs but ask them. Great view of Mt Agung, good food and prices. // ww

Wayanssmcopy.jpg

Yum, lunch at Wayan's!

AgungfromWayanssmcopy.jpg

Great view too...

Back
Top Bottom