where to dive for New Year break?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flip.flops

Registered
Reaction score
hi, i'm thinking of diving 30dec-2nd jan over the new year, it'll be a short break..any ideas where to go? will embark from Singapore
thanks! :D

New Years on Patong Beach? I'd say stay there and take the rest of that first week of January off:D Better start making reservations now. . .

Sipadan Malaysia, Philippines and Phuket make your reservation now

thailand it is! kop khun ka
but so many sites to choose from, *argh*
if you had to compare (considering post-tsunami), which would you choose:
phuket
koh lanta
koh phi phi
or khao lak/similans?
tks!
i kinda prefer quiet places...i KNOW it's new year but anyways : )

Was in Menjangan Bali for Xmas towards the New Year. Was rainy season, but the dive was SUPERB!

flip.flops:
but so many sites to choose from, *argh*
if you had to compare (considering post-tsunami), which would you choose:
phuket
koh lanta
koh phi phi
or khao lak/similans?
tks!

Heya, Phuket/PhiPhi will be swamped with visitors partying the night away. PhiPhi is actually worse I imagine, since you're likely to be stuck on that same beach and there is no place you can get away from all the celebrations in that small island.

Why not try Lanta? You get to dive the same sites as Phi Phi and easier access to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang for that celebratory New Years Day dive.. :D

Trouble is if you have such a short break, you want to get somewhere fast. So, Phuket wins. Lanta is great but it's going to take you half a day to get there and half a day to get back. I say stay in Phuket or Khao Lak and book it now. And if you plan to dive, you can expect eveything to be crowded and full. For me, not the best time for the Similan Islands..and with your dates you'd have to take a boat like South Siam, to do a 2 or 3 day trip. Will be crowded, but if you don't mind that...well OK.

I think with such a short break I might just do a day trip or two and bask on the beach.

flip.flops:
phuket
koh lanta
koh phi phi
or khao lak/similans?

If you like quiet choose Kao Lak and get out to Ko Bon, Ko Tachai and Richelieu Rock.

If you change your mind and don't want it too quiet go to Phuket and try to get out to the Similan Islands.:D

And uhm, don't worry too much about "post-tsunami situations". It's VERY unlikely you will notice anything form the tsunami either in Phuket or Kao Lak; most resorts etc. are rebuild and ready to welcome you...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom