Where to buy regulator parts kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't use the Global stuff, partly because its too damn hard to find, but mostly because I don't like to use unecessary chemicals in the tank.

I've never had problems with rust - I whip or tumble the tanks, rinse them with very hot water, immediately invert them on the drying rack and get a hair dryer or heat gun (careful with a heat gun, some can get TOO hot) running, with a tube running up into the tank so the air is blown all the way up, and a few minutes later they are dry. If that doesn't work for you, then you don't really have much choice but to go to a rust inhibitor.

DEA us one of those evil brews which some chemists and scientists are merrily putting into everything even as others are warning against it - it's in shampoo and food! So hard to say how much of a danger a little more is.

Farber uses a coating variously described as "food grade iron oxide" or "food grade phosphate" in their tanks. This is essentially just controlled rusting, the same layer as is left (hopefully) when you use a phophorus acid product to remove rust from the tank. It has the advantage of leaving a coating that's thin enough (in fact, microscopic) so that while it gives only limited protection, it isn't going to flake and cause problems, or interfer with inspection. The other nice thing is that the protection doesn't depend on chemical residue (other than the oxide) being left on the inside of the tank, the way DEA does, so you can rinse the hell out of the tank afterwords.
So you might be able to get some protection by using a weak phosphorous acid (Coke?) rinse at some point in the cleaning (and that might be enough all by itself to remove the flash rust as well). Be sure to use a food grade product, many phosphorous cleaners are heavy-duty industrial strength products with additional cleaners and surfactants in them that may not be what you want to be inhaling. Global sells such a product, and Oakite 31 is very similar. And rinse well (once again, a drying rack comes in handy, so you can shove a hot water hose up into the tank and let it blast for a while with the water running freely through the tank and out). BTW I asked Global if they have ever experimented with the rust preventative possibilities of their phophoric cleaner, and they said they hadn't.

Bootybreath:
Hey V

Firstly thanx a bunch for your books,they`re super...and I prefer your writing to agatha christie !!

Re tank cleaning ...

I have steel fabers and when I wet them to clean them, by the time I get the fluid out (30secs), they are already rusting.Hair dryer works too slow. I am currently blasting the tanks with scuba-air and they dry within 60secs...but with an orange film of rust.

Global recomends compound O which as you know already is a diethanolamine solution.
I have found some info on the stuff and everybody swears they are highly cancerous chemicals even in small quantities.Search on diethanolamine and see for yourself.

Is it overkill to blast em with nitrogen?
Do you have a simpler/cheaper solution?
Or is the diethanolamine solution the only way to go?

PLEASE ADVISE ME

Redwulf:
I was just wondering if anyone had an answer to my question a page or so back. Thanks.
Redwulf, try DiveInn. They sell a few of the Mares rebuild kits for little money.
I don't know if it's easy or not. I'l let you know when I tear mine down. It's not rocket science, the only thing that may get in your way is if there's a specialty tool that's needed.
Good Luck and if you think of it, take pictures of the proceedure and post back.

Clutchcargo, thanks for the link, they have what I need. I hope others will be as lucky.

I rebuilt my scubapro Mk7 and now when I run low on air it makes noise and scairs all the fish.

patymeboy:
I rebuilt my scubapro Mk7 and now when I run low on air it makes noise and scairs all the fish.

That is funny

MikeFerrara:
It would be pretty inconvenient if you couldn't by automotive parts wouldn't it?

I made the mistake of buying a Mercedes Benz. Price was right w/ a blown motor but try to find parts for the pos.... I couldn't even get an oil filter from the local autoparts store. I'm with you, if you can fix it yourself get er done.

People often suggest that parts kits for Aqualung show up on Ebay. I've never been able to find them! I have a full set of the manuals for all the aqualung regs, and while I'm not about to rebuild mine right now I would like to know that I can when I want to.
Anybody have a good, consistent source for AL kits?
gomi_

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom