where to buy fins online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I gave my LDS a chance when I wanted to pick up a pair of those amazingly fantastic ScubaPro Jet Fins. Sadly, my LDS isn't dealer for ScubaPro, so I couldn't get Jets from them. I then gave the *other* dive shop around here a chance, but they said they can order Jets, but that they didn't have any (and normally don't stock them).

Given the choice between ordering Jets online or waiting several days longer to pay more for them, I bought online. Then, I gave my LDS a chance when it was time for spring straps, but they didn't have those, either, so I waited until I was in Florida at an LDS in cave country, and I picked up a pair off the wall there. :D

Personally, I think it's extremely important to try different types of fins in the water before you buy. For some of us, there's a HUGE difference between splits and paddles, and within both there's quite a range of feel. Had I followed my LDS's advice and bought splits I would have been absolutely miserable, would have had to sell the darned things, and begin looking for the right fins for a second time.

I simply find splits to feel floppy on my feet and provide me with zero comfort and control in the water. My ideal fin turned out to be the short, wide paddle fin...ScubaPro Jet fin. However, there are a lot of folks that cramp up using Jets, so they aren't right for everyone. Perhaps its our competitive swimming background, but my husband found that splits felt the same for him as me, but loves his Mares Avanti Quattros and wouldn't trade them for the world. I would have tried the Quattros, but they don't come in a small enough size, so was out of luck.

Sometimes it's worth spending a few extra bucks to be able to try things out in a pool before you buy. I spent more on my Jets that I could have gotten them for on e-bay, but to me it was worth the extra $$$ to try them out in the water first.

Please,

if you try on fins at a Local Dive Shop (LDS), please buy them there. It's not right to consume their resources and then buy elsewhere.

Pick your dive boot first, then match your fin to it, don't just buy a fin because someone recommended it. I can sell you a $400 fin that is fantastic on one person, but if the fin and boot don't match, it will still cause toe, foot and calf cramping on you. The $50 fin could work great for you, but not work at all for another person. Proper fit is going to be what gives you the power and keeps you from having problems. One problem with fin power is that most people don't understand how important the boot to fin match is, so don't just go with one recommendation.

I'll put my 2 cents in for www.crazyscuba.com! Of course...

Britt :fish:
:fish:

My instructor wasn't affiliated with a dive shop, so I just culled some cheap fin choices from the nt that sounded good and asked for a recommendation. He said that for a beginner, the $28 paddle fins on my list would do just fine. Then after more experience I would be better able to assess varoius fins and determine my needs. I think that was the best advice I have ever gotten.

There are many posts on this site extoling te virtues of Jets and their cousins (my favorite). There are just as many that recommend splits.

My path was go cheap, develop some skills, find my prefered diving style, and then upgrade.

Anyone need a pair of Dacor Trackers hand modified to take spring straps?

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom