Where to begin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maat1976

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to begin researching what regulator would be best for me. Anyone have any unbiased links or places to start?

I've read through a bunch of this forum but it reads like my photography one: the 5DMIII vs the 7DMII. Jibberish is if you don't already know what you are talking about!

I'm a warm water diver that will do approximate 50 dives a year on holiday.

Anyone have any unbiased info sources for me to start reading?

Thanks.

If the canon product specs is jibberis, then you are going to have the same issue here. Regulators and cameras are tools at the end of the day, if you dont know why you need a specific spec, then pretty much any brand and model will do.

The only unbiased advise I can give is that 95% of the scuba brands will satisfy your requirements. The same with the 7dmkii and 5dmkiii. I have both by the way if you need help.

Apeks DS4 1st stage with two of whatever the midrange 2nd stage is (one with adjustable cracking pressure and Venturi lever), in DIN, with a yoke adaptor. Simple, excellent reg that will work well for your local conditions as well as being fine for tropical rec depths diving, and should have oodles of local support in the UK.

If you are in the UK and looking for good inexpensive regulators then I would recommend the Apeks ATX 40 setup or the AT-20 setup (if they are still sold). You can purchase an adjuster screw and make them adjustable if you like. There is a video on YouTube showing how.

Given you're in the UK I'll second Apeks. Given they are now owned by Aqualung you'll get service abroad too should you need it. If you want to do it cheap the DS4 and ATX 40 is a great reg and being environmentally sealed is suitable for your local temps and the tropics. if you have more money the spend the DS4/XTX50 is a nice reg basically same reg as ATX40 only newer version and has the adjustable cracking pressure knob and some cosmetic differences. All Apeks regs, save Flight, breathe the same to me regardless of 1st or 2nd stage. Aqualung Titan is another nice reg, the LX version in particular, breathes nice and easy to get serviced almost anywhere. Both ScubaPro and Aqualung have the widest dealer networks. Good luck, you'll likely get lots of opinions, it'll make your head spin.

Find a good, solid brand name that your local dive shop will do routine servicing on.

I assume in your area you want DIN, not Yoke.

The issue of a diaphragm vs. piston reg. won't matter much for warm water. While either can be used in cold, I've seen posts in other threads favoring some diaphragm regulators for cold/environmental sealing. Atomic Aquatic's piston reg.s have a longer recommended routine service interval at the price of not putting both 1st & 2nd stages in the rinse tank at once unless on a tank & pressurized, due to risk of water getting in where it's not supposed to be.

Be wary of buying the bottom of the line cheapest unless you know your product well. Top-of-the-line models often don't offer much value to the average diver to justify their price; if all Atomic Aquatic reg.s breathe much the same, is the minor weight drop with more titanium work several hundred dollars?

The Apeks brand Dr. Lecter recommended is strongly reputable.

One thing about regulators is due to a range of good quality across varied models and brands, trying to determine the 'absolute best choice' can be an exercise in frustration, because you end up splitting hairs at length.

Richard.

P.S.: Apart from brand, you may notice some threads discussing issues like preferring a 7 foot hose like many tec. divers use, or miflex hoses, or swivels...

Pipped by ams511, so I guess I'll third Apeks. Take a look at Scubastore.com AKA diveinn as they have a very wide range and it will give you an idea of what prices are. They are often cheaper than most but you will not really get the help before or after purchase that you'll likely get from a good local LDS.

Be wary of buying the bottom of the line cheapest unless you know your product well.

There is nothing wrong or unsafe purchasing a low-end regulator from an established brand. Granted the performance is not as good as mid-range regulators BUT for the most part they are simpler and more reliable. Scubapro MK-2/R-195, Aqualung Calypso or Titan, Sherwood Brut/Magnum are reliable well-respected regulators.

Agree, often dive ops use the entry level of a range in part of course because they are cheaper but also because of their simplicity and reliability. The AL Calypso is a good example of this.

Buy English...LOL - Apeks is an excellent brand and the factory is in Blackburn. Apeks Marine Equipment Ltd

They're either owned by or in partnership with Aqualung so Al dealers worldwide can also offer service if needed since you plan to travel.

if all Atomic Aquatic reg.s breathe much the same, is the minor weight drop with more titanium work several hundred dollars?
Titanium doesn't corrode - ever...that's why you buy it, not for the weight savings which is negligible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom