Where the sand goes in Destin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The sand from the dredging operation in the East Pass is making its way to the local beaches. The operation looks similar to the pumping that I saw at the jetties. Here are some pictures:

Shouldn't the arrow be pointing up?

They use survey and GPS equipment to place the flags so I guess it helps them get the right height and width of the dunes and beach.

one last question... Where exactly are the beach pics? near the jetty or way on down the beach?

is this jetty sand or just offshore sand that they are trying to do beach replenishment because of all the storm beach erosion?

The third pic shows "Destin" in the distance. The operation is behind Hidden Dunes (just East of the Silver Sands Outlet). The paper says they estimate that they are 20% finished with the project. The sand is coming from the East Pass and is being barged. The operation will continue moving West along the beach until somewhere past Henderson State Park, I believe. These are the most eroded beaches in the area.

thanks for the details.

It was 'really bad' from the Whale Tale (bar on beach) back past the beach access past Pompano Joes when I was down there in October. Some of the houses (on silts) had the sand washed out from underneath them and the parking lots had fallen in some even.

If you get any pics near the Crystal Pier pilings and the condos around it (Crystal Sands), let me know. That's where we are staying again in May.

They are projected to be finished somewhere around June, you may have some neighbors in the sandbox while you are here :D. They work around the clock with only small 3 hour breaks to let the Sturgeon in and out of the bay.

BTW - the red arrow is where the sand/water flows out from the barge.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom