Where the hell is Redding?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mudbug=crawdad, yummy to pop the tails like shrimp

Ohh I am a bit late for this thread, but I am up in Redding. Whiskeytown is really the closest place to dive, but you can check with Howell's about club dives at the coast. I haven't had time to join the club, but they do a few things together. You may even be able to put an ad at Howell's for a partner. I would offer, but our trips seem to be pretty last minute because I tend to be out of town a lot, but if you want to try to meet up with us for Whiskeytown you can PM me. But I will warn you, I am still somewhat a new diver (2nd summer diving), not timid, just new.

tacohandler:
Hi. I recently moved from the bay area to a true NorCal town called Redding. The good thing, I'm out of the bay area mess. The bad thing, I'm a little far from Monterey to go diving. I need to get in the water and go diving. Problem is, I am not sure where to dive and I don't have a dive buddy. Can someone point me in the right direction. Whats the coast like way the heck up here? Thanks for any ideas other than "go to your local dive shop." Because, I will. Thanks again, Kevin Reguera
Contact the Humboldt Skin DIvers in Arcata. They are a good bunch of folks. DIving is pretty decent between Crescent City and the Russian River. Visibilty is a bit lower than your used to but the the life is great. Charlie Notthoff is a member of this site and you can email him direct asking for any info.

I thought of Almonor right off the bat. Clear water, underwater springs fish. How about the Sac River during lower water times. You might find all sorts of stuff. Not very deep but close to home. T
here is also a lake up above Trinity center, can't remember the name but it is mostly dirt banks so i would imagine not good vis. Upper Sacto river above Shasta Lake is very clear, and has some really cool looking deep holes. Like around Dunsmuir area. OH yea. another one is Lake asuwami (sp)State Park. That would be a killer spot. Not to far a drive either. Lots of places to dive, easy put in at the dive ramp, or use a boat to get over to the other side. VERY clear water.

diverrick:
I thought of Almonor right off the bat. Clear water, underwater springs fish. How about the Sac River during lower water times. You might find all sorts of stuff. Not very deep but close to home. T
here is also a lake up above Trinity center, can't remember the name but it is mostly dirt banks so i would imagine not good vis. Upper Sacto river above Shasta Lake is very clear, and has some really cool looking deep holes. Like around Dunsmuir area. OH yea. another one is Lake asuwami (sp)State Park. That would be a killer spot. Not to far a drive either. Lots of places to dive, easy put in at the dive ramp, or use a boat to get over to the other side. VERY clear water.

There are alot of lakes in the Trinity ALps/Marble Mountains area you could try. Also on the coast; Humboldt Lagoons, Crescent City, Trinidad, Humboldtb Bay, Humboldt Jetties, Shelter Cove, Hardy Crt5eek, Albiobn, Russian Gulch, Caspar Headlands and Beach, Mendicino Headlands and Beach, etc. Lots of places.

Taco,

I've never dived in Redding, but I've been there a few times. Used to live about 4 hours North and Redding was a frequent stopover on the way South. Since it's not too far from Oregon, I'm assuming the conditions are somewhat the same and all I can say is that I hope you're diving dry because the water was always cold (high 50's) even in the middle of summer.

Good luck,
J.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom